Chapter 3

Kiora

When I walked into science, the teacher noticed me right away and walked right to me. "Are you a new student," she asked. I nod my head as she looks around. "Let's see, you can sit with..." She pauses as she looks at every table of two. "Ahmed," a guy's head shoots up. "You can sit with Ahmed," I nod as she instructs Ahmed to raise his hand.

I walk over to the table and take the only open seat left. The teacher starts telling us what we're going to be doing today and suddenly all I hear is "You'll be doing a project with your table buddies," I look over at the guy named Ahmed. He was already looking at me with a glare.

I look back to the teacher as she's giving out topics. She looks over at me and the guy named Ahmed next to me "Your guy's is the scientific basis of love and how one knows there on love", I nod in response to let her know I got it.

Everyone was talking with their partner while mine was staring at me and me glancing at him every once in a while. I put my hand up after he looked away "Yes, Kiora?", the teacher asked. "When is this due?" She, the teacher, suddenly stands up and claps her hands together "right thanks for reminding me, it is due at the end of the semester so 13 weeks'' I mutter a quick thank you and look over to my partner.

"So...", I drag out. His eyes quickly snap up to mine. "When do you wanna work on it, I don't wanna do it last minute." His eyebrows furrow "We as in you and me? NoNo darling you're doing it not me", his deep voice making me do a double take at him. Me? Darling?  I blink a few times.

"Or I can just tell the teacher you're not participating and you don't get any credit", He rolls his eyes at my comment "Or you can do it and say I helped without any complaints", now it was my time to roll my eyes. "Yea, no I'm not doing it alone" I say. He scoffs and glares at me like I'm the one that assigned the project to him.

"Fine, can you meet me in the library at 5?" I shake my head "I have work, sorry I'm off tomorrow though", he just blinks at me like I'm crazy "what?"

He shakes his head a little and looks away "you're 16? Why do you have a job," I shrug at him like I don't know I do, I pay the bills.

His eyebrows knit together in confusion. "So tomorrow?" I ask. Ahmed nods "Yea, where do you want to meet up?"  "Do you want to go to the library?"

He shakes his head no "I can't be seen in a library it'll ruin my reputation, we can go to my house". I nod

What does he mean it'll ruin his 'reputation'?  I mentally slap myself as I remember he was with all of the jocks "I-uh I don't know where you live," I say awkwardly. He chuckles "give me your pho-" the teacher cuts him off "Ahmed and Kiora start working on your project before I give you detention".

I nod and grab a notebook out of my bag and flip to a random page. Ahmed took my notebook and my pencil and started writing something.

(100)-121-111 Text me later so we can meet up
P.s. Don't tell nobody you have my phone number

I gave a quick thumbs up and started writing the topic Explain how you know your in love, explain the scientific theory  I wrote.

Suddenly everyone was packing up, I looked at the clock and realized class ended in two minutes.

I pack up and the bell rings a minute later. I start to look for a 6th period.
_________________