Chapter 1

Kiora,

Going to a new school can be hard, or at least that is what I have heard. Today I shall test that theory by attending a new school just north of town. Is it true? Is it really that hard?

                              °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Waking up I felt nervous, so nervous my stomach hurt. I had never done well at meeting people or making friends. I like to keep to myself for the most part. I would honestly rather be cozy with a book by the fire than I would socialize. If I'm alone everything is easier. If I don’t have any friends, who is going to make fun of me?

My house is toxic, I can't stand it here. I wouldn't  necessarily call it abusive. I mean my parents are trying their best after all. Or at least that’s how I felt in the beginning. It hadn’t dawned on me until I was about 13. Every day when I would return home from my last school, it was like I did something wrong. Even if I didn’t do anything. I  always got hurt for it. I can still remember the screams and cries of my younger self longing for the pain to go away. To end it all.

It all happened after my mom ran away with me when I was born. She then married a man named Michael Peterson. This is when my life really started downhill. They had started taking drugs and using an excessive amount of alcohol. During this time he had the liberty to make her do whatever he wanted her to. He would often speak of me as a toy to my mother, or as another way to release their feelings. She believed him. Sometimes I wonder if I was the only victim. Did he beat mama too? Perhaps, but there’s no way to know for sure.

                              °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Getting up after thinking how horrible this day was gonna be, I looked through my wardrobe. I picked out a pair of baggy jeans, a brown crop top, with a black jacket. Going into my bathroom, I get out my brush and brush through my hair. Leaving my clothes on the sink counter.  Before hopping in the shower.

Staring at the tile wall I think about how if I were born into a different family would this still happen, like I was meant to be born into a world, where everything and everyone is horrible to me? Finishing my thought, I started to wash my hair, my hair was down to my lower back since my mom won't take me to get a haircut. It was brown and blond but not dirty blond.

After washing my hair and body. I hopped out of the shower and quickly dried myself off. I went to grab my undergarments, to realize I had forgotten them.

That was the first sign, that it was gonna be a bad day, I thought to myself.

Running into my room, I dropped my clothes on my bed and quickly walked over to my wardrobe to grab my undergarments.

After putting on my undergarments and clothes, I put my shoes on.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

You got this, I thought to myself. Then walked out the door, but not without seeing my mom and Michael passed out on the couch black-out drunk.

Walking to school I notice a lot of new things about this side of town, like all of the restaurants and stores. How none of the sidewalks had cracks in them, and the road looked smooth.

As I was walking I saw the school, it was beautiful and looked massive like I never find my way out. There were flowers everywhere. I noticed the school parking lot was packed with expensive cars.

It all clicked in my head, all the nice stuff. Everyone here was rich.

________________