Her body shuddered.

Ariana's eyes filled with tears once more. "Zoë.."

"Stars," she whispered, "I see the stars again, my lady."

A tear trickled down Artemis's cheek. "Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars..." Zoë repeated.

Her eyes fixed on the night sky. And she did not move again.

Ariana bowed her head as she felt her presence disappear, just like she felt Bianca's. Her ears rang; she allowed the tears to fall.

She felt them looking at her. Ariana knew they wanted confirmation and so she nodded and muttered. "She's gone."

Thalia lowered her head. Annabeth gulped down a sob, and her father put his hands on her shoulders.

Ariana watched as Artemis cupped her hand above Zoë's mouth and spoke a few words in Ancient Greek.

A silvery wisp of smoke exhaled from Zoë's lips and was caught in the hand of the goddess. Zoë's body shimmered and disappeared.

Artemis stood, said a kind of blessing, breathed into her cupped hand and released the silver dust to the sky.

It flew up, sparkling, and vanished. For a moment she didn't see anything different. Then Annabeth gasped.

Looking up in the sky, Ariana saw that the stars were brighter now. They made a pattern she had never noticed before-a gleaming constellation that looked a lot like a girl's figure a girl with a bow, running across the sky.

"Let the world honor you, my Huntress," Artemis said, "live forever in the stars."

It wasn't easy saying their good-byes. The thunder and lightning were still boiling over Mount Tamalpais in the north.

Artemis was so upset she flickered with silver light. This made Ariana nervous, because if she suddenly lost control and appeared in her fully divine form, they would disintegrate by looking at her.

"I must go to Olympus immediately." Artemis said. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

The goddess set her hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

Then she looked quizzically at Thalia, as if she weren't sure what to make of this younger daughter of Zeus.

Thalia seemed reluctant to look up, but something made her, and she held the goddess's eyes.

Ariana wasn't sure what passed between them, but Artemis's gaze softened with sympathy. Then she turned to Percy.

"'You did well," she said, "for a man."

She mounted her chariot, and her eyes met Ariana's.

"Zoë was right." She said. "You are your mothers child and anyone is a fool to question you."

Her chariot began to glow. They averted their eyes. There was a flash of silver, and the goddess was gone.

"Well." Dr. Chase sighed. "She was impressive; though I must say I still prefer Athena."

Annabeth turned toward him. "Dad, I... I'm sorry that-"

"Shh." He hugged her. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn't easy for you."

His voice was a little shaky, but he gave Annabeth a brave smile.

Then Ariana heard the whoosh of large wings. Three pegasi descended through the fog: two white winged horses and one pure black one.