CH31 THE BIRTHDAY

Akshara had very different hopes and ideas for her father's birthday. Months back when she met Abhimanyu, she had hoped to bring her father's friend back into his life as his birthday gift. She didn't think she would be so dejected on his birthday.

The location of the birthday party for her father only added more fuel to the scorching fire inside her as Aaru suggested they move the celebration to her farmhouse, so they could make it a weekend party. Akshara liked the idea of a relaxing weekend for her family away from the hustle and bustle of the city and agreed to change it. It was a complete surprise for her father, and she had his driver drive her to the farmhouse claiming that she was attending a party that Aaru was hosting.

The joy in her father's eyes when he saw his family gathered made her happy, but she could not stop thinking about Abhimanyu. However much he upset her, she wanted him, and the more she thought about how he reacted, she realized it was a coping mechanism. He needed a way to let out the anger, but she did not appreciate how he spoke about her father.

She stepped away to be by herself and walked along the same path she and Abhimanyu had walked the first time they met. She stopped at the tennis court and batted away tears. She thought he would be her tennis partner for life, and there she was staring at the empty tennis court. She took slow steps toward the middle of the tennis court and stood looking out into the green of the court and the darkness beyond the well-lit area.

"I knew I would find you here."

Her back stiffened when she heard the all-too-familiar male voice, the one she longed to hear, the one she loved, and the last person she was expecting to see that evening. She stood rooted to her spot and did not turn even as she leaped with joy.

She placed her hand on the net for support and fought her need to turn around and look at him. The last time she had seen him was when he had set up the urgent video conference a couple of weeks ago and had no contact with him since that time. She wouldn't know if he had attempted to call her since she had blocked his phone number.

"Akshuu," his voice shook with weakness, and that made her shiver.

She stood frozen even as she felt him move closer to her and shuddered when he reached out to take her hand in his and slowly took the back of her hand to his lips.

"Baby, I'm sorry for everything, for being an ass and saying mean things about your papa. I was an idiot and a moron to think—"

His voice was lost when she let out a sob like she was having a flashback of the memory. He held her hand in his as he pulled her into his arms.

"Will you please forgive me, baby?"

She continued to sob into his chest, and he was at a loss for words.

"Baby, I love you so much, you are my everything, and I was an asshole to hurt you the way I did."

Her arms went around him as she continued to weep out of no control.

"I love you, too."

"I promise never to behave that way, no matter what happens."

He pulled back to kiss her forehead as he wiped away the tears from her cheeks.

She looked up at him.

"I... I was angry with you but still missed you so much."

"Me, too, and the last week while I waited to see you, it was torturous."

"Why didn't you come sooner?"

"Because," he said, stepping back from her to go down on one knee and pull out something from his pocket. "I needed this..."