CH30 THE TRUTH

Abhimanyu was still working from his home office as his father recovered, severing the ties they had started to establish between his company and Akshara’s father’s business. He did not like the idea that his mother was in constant contact with Akshara’s parents and didn’t know how to cut back on their enthusiasm, but he hoped to keep the relationships at bay even after his father was fully recovered.

“Anand, I have no interest in running around the courts and have no intention to keep the contract,” Abhimanyu said to his uncle, still angry with everything that happened to his father and the way it happened.

“We should have never gotten into anything with that family. That family has been the—” Abhimanyu looked up when his mother stepped into the office.

“Hang on, Anand. Let me call you back.” He ended the call and added, “Hi, Ma.”

“What are you two discussing?” She glared.

Abhimanyu stood up to walk over to where his mother stood, looking rather angry.

“Ma, just usual business.”

She shook her head. “I wasn’t born yesterday, Abhi. What are you two up to?”

“What do you mean up to? This is work, Ma.”

“I know how Anand feels about Kartik Dada. What has he been telling you?” His mother sounded angry.

“Ma, why are you talking about Anand uncle like that?”

“It’s the truth, Abhi. Anand has always been jealous of how close your father and Kartik Dada were, even as kids, and that jealousy has over time turned into bitterness, and he just—”

“What are you talking about?”

“If only your father and Kartik Dada had sorted things out in person. Anand was the one communicating between the two, and something went wrong. When your father had the accident, your uncle was quick to blame everything on someone else. It was an accident.”

Abhimanyu was shocked to hear what his mother said, and it explained how opposed his uncle was to having his father move back to their hometown, buying back the childhood home that he knew his father wanted, and how upset he was about the contract.

“Ma, I… I don’t know what—”

His mother interjected.

“Your father wants to see you.”

“Is he okay?” he asked as he stepped out of the office and headed toward the room his father had been recovering in.

“Yes. He wanted to ask you something.”

Abhimanyu opened the door to his father’s room and smiled.

“How is it going, Dad?”

His father patted the space next to him on the bed as he sat with his back against the headboard.

“Come sit.”

“Dad, I don’t want you to ask me anything about work. I have that taken care of.”

His father smiled, nodding.

“I don’t want to talk about work. I want to talk about you.”

“Me?”

“Yes. Your mother is upset that you didn’t tell her what you told me.” His father chuckled.

Abhimanyu looked at his mother and asked, “What did I not tell you, Ma?”

His father let out a laugh.

“She is upset you didn’t tell her about the girl you love.”

Abhimanyu felt a twist in his chest, but he managed to chuckle.

ABHIRA THE ATTRACTIONजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें