CH07 THE STARING CONTEST

For the next few weeks, Akshara focused on getting her jewellery collection ready for the exhibition scheduled in a couple of months.

It was the largest one in the country, and she wanted to make an impression with her collection.

She was at Asha’s place, getting her newly married cousin’s opinion on the latest collection, when her husband walked into the dining area where Akshara had her items on display.

“Akshara, are you selling all your jewellery to my wife?” he teased as he walked closer.

“Stop it, Abhinav,” Asha grumbled.

“Abhinav, if Asha wants it, she knows she can have it all. Don’t worry about having to pay for it,” she teased, making him laugh.

“Abhinav, I thought you were meeting a friend for drinks.” Asha was not expecting him until much later, so Akshara and her cousin had made plans to go out for dinner.

“Yeah, he got delayed, so we pushed it out to meet for dinner.” He smiled and added, “Do you want to join me?”

Akshara shook her head. “You two go. I have to get some work done. I will—”

Asha interjected.

“You should go, too. We were going to go out for dinner anyway.”

“Yeah, you should join us. Guess what, we are going to this new semi-outdoor place that opened up recently. The guy I’m meeting owns the place.”

“The Sanctuary?” Asha almost squealed.

Akshara looked from her cousin to Abhinav.

“What is The Sanctuary?”

“You must go with us.” Asha held Akshara’s hand, leading her out of the dining space, and called out to her husband, “We will be ready to go in one hour.”

Akshara chuckled. “Why are you so excited about this place?”

“It’s the hottest hangout in the twin cities now. Let’s go.”

“Are you sure you want me there? You should go with Abhinav.”

Asha was not paying attention to Akshara’s words as she pulled out outfit after outfit from her closet.

“Pick an outfit to change into.”

Akshara looked down at her long, cotton, batik print dress and asked,

“I can’t come in this?”

Asha gave her a long stare. “No. Pick one, or I will pick for you like every time.”

Akshara laughed at her cousin, who was more like a sister to her.

Asha is her older aunt’s daughter and a few years older than her. She had always given Akshara her most favourite dresses to wear, even when they were younger.