13:00

13:00

Winter was just about to turn the page of her story when her mobile began to ring from the coffee table in the lounge. She hopped to her feet and speed-walked to it, clutching it swiftly from the surface. She clicked answer and held it to her ear.

"Hello." Her greeting was always unwillingly cheerful.

"Hey, lazy ass. Has Winter Andrews actually slept in like a normal person for once?" It was her older friend, Samantha Riley, she could tell by her fluent New York accent.

"No, actually, I was up at 7." Almost on queue, Winter yawned after her answer.

"Okay well, come on down to my place. I want to see you and catch up, we haven't talked for a while."

"It's been a week." Winter smirks at her friend's desperation.

"Oh shush, I get lonely easily." Samantha answers rapidly.

"Okay okay, I will be there in twenty." She informs her and hangs up. Her phone is situated back on the coffee table. She trots to the wardrobe in her bedroom and tries to pick out an outfit, finally deciding on a pastel blue skater skirt and a plain, blank blouse to tuck into it. Her hands throw them on top of her bed as she has a shower and brushes her teeth.

Winter was lucky as she had a good complexion, not needing to wear any makeup on the skin of her face. Her eyebrows were also naturally full so all she applied was some mascara and lip gloss. Her naturally wavy hair just hung loosely down her back as she didn't have the mind to create a mind-blowing hairstyle in fear of being late.

She got dressed, pulling white converse over her feet and a thin, auburn jacket over her attire. The weather in New York was amazing so she knew that her body would be too warm with anymore articles of clothing. Her hand locked the door of the apartment behind her as she exited the building.

It didn't take her much time at all to arrive at Sam's home. She was greeted by her friend's beaming face and as she entered, Sam's daughter Penelope clung to her leg.

"Hello, Penelope. How are you?" Winter asks her in a higher voice, obviously trying to appeal to the four year old.

"I - I am God." Penelope answered, proudly.

"Do you mean good, Penelope?" Sam laughed from behind a crouched Winter and a happy Penelope.

"Oh yes, that's it. I forgot." She told her mother and Winter burst into laughter.

It was 13:19 by the time Sam and Winter were perched on the swing set in her back garden. Penelope was busy playing with the sand in her sand pit located in the middle of her well-kept garden area. Sam had just rubbed sun cream over her before strolling to join Winter. Winter was four years younger than Sam and felt as a younger sister to her. They met through the internet as two wannabe pianists and became friends for a long time.

"So, your big gig is tonight, isn't it?" Sam questions and Winter giggles at her choice of words.

"I wouldn't call it a big gig, only a few of the guests will be really listening anyway. It's a restaurant, people will be engrossed in their own conversations." She explains to her but Sam shakes her head.

"If they're anything like me, your piano skills will be enough to silence them. Trust me." She informs, matter of factly.

"Thanks." Winter just grins while looking down at her lap. She could never receive compliments well.

"Let's talk about something else. Any men took your fancy lately?" Sam winks and Winter blushes lightly while shaking her head. "Come on, Winter, it's been 8 months since your last split. You need to get yourself out there."