Front Matter

Even the best waters can be troubled in a two-person relationship

Even the best waters can be troubled in a two-person relationship. But when you're dealing with a love rectangle? It doesn't take much to rock the boat . . .

Blaise Draper is many things: musical genius, mercurial boss, and quiet philanthropist to start. However, since the accident that deprived the superstar of his beloved wife, Karina, Blaise's primary identity has been that of the grieving husband. That's why, since discovering that he can supernaturally connect with her through actress Laurencia Zavala, his mission has been to bring Karina back from the dead.

Unfortunately for Blaise, his goal involves deceit, guilt, and constant uncertainty that makes him feel anxious and empty. Enter Cherie Valiente, a critically acclaimed indie jazz musician whose friendship brings light to Blaise's world. Their connection on multiple levels gives Blaise new purpose, but it also strengthens a chemistry only one of them is free to act on.

As his feelings get more complicated, Blaise tries his hardest to keep all the women he feels bound to satisfied, but in the end, he's only one person, and his actions have consequences for the living and the dead . . .

Main Characters/Cast List (in order of appearance):

Prince Rogers Nelson as Blaise Draper (POV Character)

Patricia Apollonia Kotero as Laurencia Zavala

Denise Katrina/Katherine Matthews (also known as Vanity) as Karina Hayworth-Draper

Sheila Cecilia Escovedo (also known as Sheila E.) as Cherie Valiente (POV Character)

Note: While this story heavily draws upon autobiographical details of the real people 'playing' these characters, none of these characters were designed as perfect/parallel reflections of their real-life counterparts. Rather, were I to write a movie with this specific cast list in mind, this is what I'd personally be interested in watching them act out. (In other words, if you've gotten this far and think this story won't be for you, please don't waste your time on it.)

Trigger Warnings

Death

Spirit Possession

Alcohol Abuse

[Attempted/Past] Rape/Sexual Assault

Violence

[Allusions to] Murder (Drowning)

Cheating/Infidelity

Suicidal Ideation

Note: Some of these are simply mentioned; others are detailed. I don't always feel the need to include trigger warnings in a story, but for this one, I do.

Chapter Inspirations

Depending on the type of device you're reading on, you may see an 'External Link' at the end of each chapter. Clicking one of these links will take you to a page with some of the factoids (my username is TheKnowledge1814 after all 😉), music, photos, websites*, etc. that helped inspire whichever chapter the page is connected to. Also, all Chapter Inspirations' pages can be found in the Table of Contents.

Just so you know, Chapter Inspirations are included for fun; you don't have to look at them to understand the story, and they are not exhaustive lists of every single thing that played the role of the muse. Particularly when it comes to Prince, I assume you'll know a lot of the background details this story alludes to, so not everything will be listed.

*The urls to these can be followed, but the only way that I know of to do so is to a) highlight the text, b) press the comment button, and c) copy the text from the side panel that pops up.

Project Status

Writing Completed Before Posting/Now Fully Posted

Part I - POV: Blaise - Posted on 2/7/2024

Part II - POV: Cherie - Posted on 2/9/2024

Part III - POV: Alternating* - Posted on 2/21/2024

Part IV - POV: Alternating* - Posted on 2/23/2024

Part V - POV: Alternating* - Posted on 2/29/2024

Part VI - POV: Alternating* - Posted on 3/4/2024

Part VII - POV: Cherie - Posted on 3/6/2024

Part VIII - POV: Blaise - Posted on 3/8/2024

*In parts where the POV alternates, the POV character's name can be found at the beginning of the chapter. (Plus, if your device allows you to see the media at the beginning of each chapter, you can always find the POV character's 'signature' there.)

Last, but never least, thank you for reading!

🌹

Copyright © TheKnowledge1814. All Rights Reserved.