-XXIX-🔞

1 year later

Queen Jennie stood on the balcony of her palace, overlooking the city. The scars of war were still visible, but progress was being made. The once-separate Three Kingdoms were now one. Her new mission was to rebuild and heal the land.

She was described as a strong and dedicated ruler by her citizens. She was often found buried in scrolls, making hard decisions and attending to the needs of her people. She had a vision of a prosperous future for her kingdom, so she worked tirelessly to make it a reality.

One evening, as the queen was poring over maps and documents in her study, a soft rustle caught her attention. She didn't have to look up to see Jisoo standing in the doorway.

"I'm busy." Jennie said right away, not lifting her gaze as she was writing in her notebook.

"I know." Jisoo sauntered over with a grin on her face. "And I thought my hardworking queen could use a break." She replied, taking out a small pouch of sweets from her pocket.

"Busy-" Jennie tried to repeat but as soon as she opened her mouth, Jisoo just popped a candy into her mouth.

As the candy dissolved on her tongue, Jennie let out a giggle. "You certainly have a way of making me forget my responsibilities." She admitted, her gaze softening as she looked at Jisoo.

"Yeah, I know. It's my duty to ensure my queen doesn't get crushed by the weight of her crown." Jisoo leaned in closer, kissing the top of her head.

Jennie closed her notebook and turned to face Jisoo, her eyes filled with gratitude. "How do you plan to do that?"

"How I always do it." Jisoo's grin widened. "I find secret passages in this palace, ones that only I know about. I'll steal you away to hidden gardens and quiet corners where it's just the two of us."

"Sounds enticing. Lead the way, my daring thief."

"Gladly, my queen." She replied, tugging gently on Jennie's hand.

They walked through the castle, being careful not to be noticed by the guards. When they turned at a corner, their ears picked up the hushed voices of Counselor Sir Kai. They were engrossed in a discussion about a pressing political matter.

Jennie was always always attentive to the needs of her kingdom, so it was only natural that she instinctively began to move toward the source of the voices. She felt a magnetic pull towards that direction, but before she could take another step, Jisoo gripped her hand more firmly.

She turned to look at her lover and could see the exhaustion in Jennie's eyes, a weariness that settled in from the constant demands of her role as queen.

"Not now, my love. Let them manage without you for a moment. You deserve this break." Jisoo whispered, concerned.

Jennie leaned into Jisoo's body. The weight of her crown felt momentarily lifted, replaced by a sense of peace she found only in Jisoo's presence.

Soon, they arrived at the stables where Trojan was waiting for them. Jisoo opened a small bag that was securely attached to the saddle. Inside were a set of clothes.

"What are those for?"

"It's for you." She handed it to her girlfriend.

"You bought me clothes? Thanks!" Jennie kissed her cheek in gratitude. Although the outfit was a bit bland since she was used to the most colourful gowns, she appreciated the gesture.

Jisoo waved her hand in denial and chuckled. "No, babe. It's not like a gift. It's supposed to be a disguise. So that we can go out together without you being ambushed or swarmed."