-XVIII-

Jisoo and Jennie were escorted into the king's dining hall by the guards.

"Your Majesty," Jennie bowed respectfully. "Thank you for inviting us to your table."

"It is my pleasure, Princess Jennie. You may just call me Seungri." The king replied with a polite nod. "And who is this young woman you have brought with you?"

"This is my personal guard, Jisoo." Jennie introduced her, using the same excuse Jisoo used earlier. It was easier than to explain everything.

"A pleasure to meet you, Jisoo." The king said, offering his hand for a shake. Jisoo took it, noting the strength of the king's grip.

They sat down to dinner, the conversation was polite but tense. The king was clearly aware of the tension between their two kingdoms and Jennie was there on her father's orders to create an alliance between two of the three warring kingdoms.

Jisoo kept a close eye on the king, trying to read his thoughts and intentions. He seemed like a shrewd and calculating ruler.

"Your Highness," Jennie said, her voice shaking slightly. Jisoo held her hand under the table, giving her strength.

"My father has sent me here to propose an alliance between our two kingdoms. Our lands have suffered enough in this war and we both know that we could benefit from each other's resources."

"Your castle has been invaded by the Chinese. How do you plan to retake control of your land?" The king cut his juicy steak.

"Indeed, we are facing a difficult situation," Jennie said, keeping her composure. "But they haven't taken over the entire kingdom yet. If you could provide us with some military support, we could push back the invaders and take back our land. We still have skilled soldiers and strategists and I'm certain their spirits are not broken yet. If I was there with them, we could successfully defend our land and retake control of our castle."

"That sounds like I would have to give more than take."

"I understand that this proposal might seem imbalanced at first glance but my father believes that it's a win-win situation for both our kingdoms. With our combined forces, we could not only retake our lands but also protect our people from future threats."

"And what guarantee do I have that your kingdom will hold up their end of the bargain?" The king raised an eyebrow, considering her words.

"I give you my personal guarantee that we will honour the terms of the alliance and work together towards a better future."

The king nodded slowly. "Very well. I will consider your proposal and get back to you with my decision. In the meantime, please enjoy the rest of your meal and the hospitality of my kingdom."

Jennie breathed a small sigh of relief, knowing that the first step towards peace had been taken. She exchanged a glance with Jisoo, who gave her a small nod of encouragement.

The king set down his knife and fork, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "Excuse me but my schedule is quite busy. I regret that our time together must be cut short."

Without waiting for a reply, the king stood up from the table and walked towards the door. His guards followed closely behind him, leaving the two alone in the room.

Jennie and Jisoo continued to eat dinner, though the conversation died down considerably after the king's departure.

Jisoo especially was really quiet. She wondered what the king was doing behind those closed doors and what he was planning.

"I know what we are trying is a long shot but we need this alliance if we're going to end this war." Jennie took a sip of wine, trying to calm her nerves.