➳ 022. covet

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷BINDING CHAINS

xxii. COVET

❛       you are / everything / my most / demanding dream / with you / i don't want to be with you   ❜

you are / everything / my most / demanding
dream / with you / i don't want to be with you

——COVET // BASEMENT

——COVET                 //                BASEMENT

"I KNEW I RECOGNISED HER."

Rex froze. The deadly edge to Cut's voice sliced through the Captain as his blood ran cold. Cautiously, he stood closer to the assassin who entered just behind him; causing Cut to usher his wife and children away.

The deserter gripped his weapon tight. His knuckles whitened as the wood of the spear shook. Sonder's breath hitched.

She knew how this would end.

Solemnly reaching for the blaster the Captain had offered her, her fingers itched to grasp the trigger. However, his hand soon moved to cover her own as he noticed her movements.

Staring at the gloved hand that gently held hers, she peered up at the Captain. Though, he didn't dare turn to meet her gaze. Instead, he kept slightly in front of her, purposefully hiding her from Cut as the deserter darkly glared their way.

She didn't oppose it, nor move when she knew how this would go. For once, the assassin didn't have a quick remark to offer — not, when the man she had defended and vouched for was pointing his weapon at her.

Certainly not, when her only saviour in this situation was a clone Captain. A clone Captain who cared nothing for her kind — for Separatists.

For pretty-faced weapons.

He was a soldier — she knew that — and that meant, sooner or later, they'd have to face the truth. No amount of gentle hummings or soft-spoken exchanges could change the reality of their fates. Because Captain Rex was a soldier for the Republic, and Sonder Vellech was an assassin for the Separatists. He would die for the Republic. He had told her so, after all.