Chapter 7. Transylvania

Start from the beginning

Constructed during the Renaissance-Gothic era, the castle stands proudly atop a rocky terrain, replacing a previous fortification. Its grandeur is evident in its massive size and commanding presence, characterized by lofty towers, sturdy bastions, and an inner courtyard. The castle's architectural style is further enhanced by its diverse array of colored roofs, as well as the intricate stone carvings that decorate its numerous windows and balconies. The castle, notable for its architectural features, includes a dual wall structure that helped strengthen its defensive capabilities. Additionally, the presence of both rectangular and circular towers, a pioneering design element within the realm of Transylvanian architecture during that era, further distinguishes this fortress. During the historical period under examination, several towers, namely the Capistrano Tower, the Deserted Tower, and the Drummers' Tower, served a significant purpose as places of solitary confinement These structures were utilized as prisons, representing an essential component of the prevalent social customs and judicial systems of the time. The construction of the Buzdugan Tower, appropriately named after the powerful mace weapon, was undertaken with a singular focus on fortification. Its primary function was to serve as a defensive stronghold, safeguarding the surrounding area from potential threats. Notably, the tower's exterior was ornamented with intricate geometric patterns, adding an aesthetic touch to its otherwise practical design. The inclusion of wide-ranging ports within the rectangular towers was a deliberate architectural choice, intended to facilitate the installation of weapons of considerable size.

According to historical records, it was widely known to the people that the Castle served as the place of confinement for Vlad the Impaler, an eminent figure known as the Prince of Wallachia. This imprisonment was allegedly orchestrated by John Hunyadi, a military commander and regent of Hungary, who assumed the responsibility of governing during the King's period. Subsequently, Vlad III forged a political alliance with John Hunyadi, despite the fact that the latter had played a pivotal role in the execution of his father, Vlad II Dracul. Due to the presence of these connections, it's occasionally believed that the Corvin Castle may have served as a source of inspiration for the creation of Castle Dracula within Bram Stoker's horror novel, Dracula, published in the year 1897. Hunyadi actually built the Corvin Castle for its goals while acting on Vlad III's orders. The Burtons played an important part in the alteration of the castle, improving it to a level of fame as one of the most impressive and expansive structures of its time. Before Hunyadi was completely overpowered by the Ardelean's power and after she chose Vlad III as one of her mates and used him to elevate himself to a position of supremacy. Only for the Castle to be forgotten after Hunyadi's death, for centuries until one of Vlad III's descendants discovered the Castle with all of the evil and haunted creatures that were contained within the Castle.

They went to Transylvania, a region famous for its natural beauty and embellished with charming medieval towns and monasteries. Notably, nestled within this appealing landscape lies Corvin Castle, an architectural gem that attracts the senses. The vibrant urban centers, graced with magnificent baroque structures, present a captivating attraction to visitors seeking contemporary tourism amenities at a considerably more affordable cost compared to destinations such as Germany or France. In this region, one can encounter a combination of highly developed urban centers and ancient rural settlements that have preserved their traditional way of life for over a century. Situated among the mystical Carpathian mountains, Transylvania finds itself enveloped by an ethereal mist, lending an air of mystique to its surroundings. This region, renowned for its beauty, serves as a sanctuary for a wide range of extraordinary fauna, including great bears and wolves. Moreover, Transylvania boasts a remarkable array of flora, with its landscapes wrapped by the presence of beautiful orchids and an extensive variety of other botanical specimens.

The locals are kind and welcoming, and they have some incredible tales to tell. In close vicinity to the legendary Corvin Castle lies a small urban settlement, wherein the local inhabitants extend a most hospitable reception to Clarissa, "Do they know anything about you?"