Chapter Twenty-Three:

Mark had just kissed me.

Even though I keep repeating it in my head, it still doesn't seem real. I mean, I barely know the guy and we've already touched lips. This isn't what I had in mind when I agreed to this whole thing.

I tighten my grip against my bag while shaking my head slightly. My feet make a soft tapping sound on the concrete sidewalk, though it's mixed in with the soft crunch of snow. Even though it was winter, the snow here wasn't too bad. It was mostly a thin layer that covered the ground and the tops of cars, looking like powdered sugar delicately shaken onto a desert.

My eyes first glance down at my walking feet then back up to where I was walking. I exhale a deep breath through my nostrils, causing a big puff of smoke to appear from the cold. All of a sudden, my phone in my pocket started to ring. I stop walking before looking down at the pocket of my dark sweatpants and reaching my hand in to pull out the vibrating phone. It was Luna.

"Hello?" I say, putting the phone against my ear.

"You doing anything tonight?" She asks. The way she says it makes me think that she's smiling on the other end. I let out a sharp gust of wind before turning my head to the side. My eyes pick up a house with festive lights hung all around it, along with a couple of decorations in the yard. One plastic reindeer was tilted down head first into the snow, yet it still kept its smiling face and legs up for lift off.

Don't tell her about you and Mark. She'll give you a hard time about it.

"Uh, no," I respond back. My bottom lip sticks out slightly into a fidgeting pout. "Why?"

I hear her sigh on the other end.

"Oh, nothing," she says in a sarcastic manner, "I may have made some cookies and hot chocolate...maybe rented out a couple of movies." She laughs a little. "And I may need some help eating said cookies."

I chuckle softly before stuffing my free hand into my pocket. I look forward once more. "Are you inviting me over, Luna?"

"No, I'm actually just telling you about all these cookies because I'm going to eat them myself."

I shake my head before letting out a little sigh. "I'll be over in a few. Just got done at Mark's house."

"Oh, and invite Mark too," she cuts in right after I say my last word, "I have enough cookies to feed an entire elementary school."

This makes me a little anxious. If I invite Mark, it would be awkward and if Luna finds out that I'm acting anxious around him, then she'll definitely find out that we kissed. And I can't have that.

"Um," I try to come up with an excuse, "It's a little late—I'm sure Mark has an early sleep schedule or something."

She doesn't respond for a few seconds, but after a moment, she speaks up:

"Oh, don't be like that." She has a tinge of smile in her words. "It's my party and I'm the one that gets to invite people, so I'm deciding to invite Mark."

I sigh softly before mentally rolling my eyes at her. I shift my weight onto one of my legs, feeling my body tremble from the cold.

"So, get your butt over here, it's freezing outside."

And with that, she hangs up. I move my phone away from my ear before looking down at the screen for the time.

9:30 pm

My lips form a slight line as I stick my phone into my pocket once more. Not only am I inviting Mark to a silly Christmas party, but I'll have to see him again after what went down. I groan softly before closing my eyes for a moment. I take a deep breath before turning my body around to start towards his house. I just came from there, so it's only a few blocks away.

Something tells me that this will be interesting.