Chapter Four:

———————- Five Months Later————————

The bell rang when I pushed open the glass door to the coffee shop. The first thing that I noticed was the long line in front of me. I groaned to myself, rolling my eyes  then tapping my foot. My phone dinged in my sweatpants pocket, which alerted me. I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone, checking the notification I had just received.

Mom - So, have you heard anything yet?

I bit my lip, trying to chew on the skin. I prepared my thumbs to text out a thorough response:

Me - Yeah. I'd rather not talk about it. Let's just say that I messed it up. I'll be okay, though :)

I clicked the side button to turn off my phone before sliding it back into the pocket of my sweatpants. I stuck my hands inside the pocket of my hoodie and looked around the petite coffee shop, admiring the decoration. Surprisingly, the line moved quickly. I stepped forwards towards the counter, glancing up at the chalkboard with the different types of coffee flavors written out in white dust. Looks like todays recommended coffee is called "Hot Apple Pie." I raised my eyebrows, and nodded slightly at the sign. The barista turned around to finally take my order.

"Ah, {Y/N}!" Exclaimed the barista, raising his hands into the air halfway, "How are you today on this fine morning?"

"I could be better," I shrugged my shoulders, smiling afterwards, "But thanks for asking, Ethan." He nodded his head slowly.

"So, what can I get ya?" He leaned on the marbled countertop.

"I think I'll just have the regular," I said, reaching into my pocket to grab my wallet.

"Gotcha," he smiled, reaching his hand over to grab a paper cup. He typed into the machine in front of him, then looked back up at me. "Alright, that'll be $2.75," he looked down at my wallet, waiting for me to pull out the cash. I pulled out my credit card, and handed it to him. Ethan placed the credit card into the credit card slot, then began to type on the machine again.

"So, how's the sprained foot?" He asked.

"It sucks," I laughed a little, lifting up my leg to look at my foot.

"Yeah, they do suck," Ethan laughed back, turning around to pick up the coffee pot behind him. He poured the espresso slowly, but carefully into the paper cup. "So, do you just have it wrapped up in elastic bandage right now?" He asked.

"Yeah, it wasn't too bad of a sprain," I leaned my elbows onto the counter. Ethan nodded, still focusing onto the cup of coffee he was making. He sat down the cup, bending down to grab some milk from a silver pitcher.

"How's the ballet coming along?" He looked up at me, smiling a little. I clenched my teeth.

"I quit," I responded quietly. Ethan looked at me, his eyes were widened.

"What?!" His voice raised one level up, "But you love ballet!"

"Yeah," I sighed, "But it's just one of those things. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get back into it, but for right now I'm just trying to focus on other important things."

"Ethan nodded quietly then poured the steaming milk into the cup, proceeding to mix the espresso and hot milk with a steaming wand. He placed down the steaming wand and plopped on a white plastic lid. "Okay," he slid the coffee towards me, "One cappuccino with extra milk." I took the cup from Ethan, holding it close to my chest.

"Thank you, Ethan," I said before walking to one of the tables in the shop.

"Anytime," he responded, then started to take the next person's coffee order.

I walked over to a white circle table, which sat near the middle of the shop. I slid off my backpack straps, dropping the backpack onto the ground and leaning it against the legs of a chair. I dragged the chair out to sit down. I placed my cappuccino onto the table and bent down to unclip my backpack. I took out my laptop and earbuds, gently dropping them on the table. I clipped my backpack together again, and sat back up. Opening my laptop, I plugged my head phones into my computer then quickly placed the earbuds into both of my ears.

I clicked onto a new tab, typing "YouTube" into the search column. I had decided to listen to music while I worked on a couple things. I dragged my cursor over the search bar on YouTube, letting my finger click against the keyboard of my computer. I found an already-made playlist, so I decided to listen to that. I clicked on another tab, typing in the website that I had to be on in order to start working. I pulled the hood of my hoodie over my head, then quickly leaned back into my chair.

I tapped on my keyboard for a while, hearing the muffled clicking sounds every time I typed in something. I began to chew on my hoodie strings, taking out one string every once in a while to sip on my cappuccino. It was a bad habit of mine, but sometimes I didn't mind it. Other times, I don't even know I'm doing it.

I sat in the coffee shop for about an hour, then quickly rushed out of the shop to get ready for my job. The bell attached to the door violently rang as I ran out.

"{Y/N}!" I heard Ethan yell, "We've talked about this! The glass doors can't handle being pushed like that!"