Chapter 7: Every word I say is kindling

The smoke eventually cleared to reveal Kacchan slumped against the stadium walls. Todoroki stood strong in the arena, half his uniform burnt off. "Bakugou is out of bounds! Todoroki moves on to the next round!"

Kacchan must've used One for All 100% from how the skin on his arm was purple. No wonder the attacks were strong enough to wreck the arena. Izuku wasn't sure what Kacchan said that got Todoroki to use his fire, but he was glad nonetheless. Todoroki was starting to crawl out of his father's shadow.

"That was..." his friends were all left speechless at the sheer display of power.

Izuku had more to add to Todoroki's page in his notebook. Yet as he watched Kacchan be taken away on a stretcher, he decided his notes could wait. He needed to check on Kacchan first.

It seemed he wasn't the only one. The moment he stood up to leave, the other six from their little friend group got up as well.

Kaminari was the one to slam the door to the nurse's office open, "BAKUGOU!" he, Kirishima, Ashido and Uraraka yelled out. Izuku, Shinsou and Ida just popped their heads in.

Kacchan did not look well. He was visibly exhausted and beat up, his right arm in a sling. It seemed that their sudden appearance had scared All Might, who had coughed out blood in his shock.

"The fuck you guys doing here? Don't you have matches to be in?" same old Kacchan.

"The arena was mostly destroyed, so there's a break while it's being repaired," Ida explained.

"Yeah, we were worried about you, bro!" Kaminari exclaimed.

"I'm fine!" Kacchan barked, "It'll take more than that to phase me!"

"Good to know!" Kirishima smiled, happy to know he was alright.

"Now now, Bakugou needs to rest, so out you all go," Recovery Girl shooed them out. However, she pointed at Izuku, "You can stay though." So it was something about One for All?

"Ohh...?" Ashido and Kaminari gave him that look. Recovery Girl slammed the door in their faces before they could say anything, but Izuku already felt his face heat up in embarrassment. He tried to ignore it though, walking up beside Kacchan's bed.

"Kacchan was amazing just now."

"Just say it. 'Congratulations on losing'," Kacchan scoffed.

"I would never say that!" Izuku pouted, "I'm serious! You looked so cool when you fought Todoroki! I bet tons of pro heroes want you in their agencies right now! And wasn't the entire point to show the world that you're here? They definitely know who you are now thanks to that match!"

"Young Midoriya is right," All Might agreed, "While you lost, you already did your best."

"Winning wouldn't have felt right if Icyhot didn't go all out anyway," Kacchan said gruffly, glancing over at Izuku, "Beat him up in the finals for me, got it?"

"That's if I can even reach the finals..." Izuku rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "I doubt my shoe trick would work against Kirishima. If he hardens I'm done for."

"What about the other aspect of your quirk?"

"I'm thinking about it."

"Can you control it?" All Might cut in, "You destroyed half of the USJ ground last time, can you be sure you'll destroy only the arena and not the whole stadium?"

And there he goes again. Izuku could tell the hero did not like him. All Might was probably only tolerating him because of Kacchan. He's used to it by now, but since it's coming from his favourite hero, it stung just a bit more.