FISH

There was no conception of any kind when I worked on this piece. It was the year 1996 as I started to go back at abstract expressionism. Spilling paints and hoping to get it right is not my motto now, but it was a development stage in every artist's life, I think. Of course, one can say the art and the aesthetic sense should have been assimilated under the artist's hand, I still think the conscious effort and an intention of where a line or a shape are positioned should possess dominate significance. This notion should be presented to the viewer. 

Perhaps I was drained from teaching, I was not able to squeeze another ounce of energy. Perhaps I was too relaxed in a comfortable home by the sea that I was not able to take initiative to make an effort. Perhaps I was lost in the search for a more in-tuned personal art style. Perhaps I did not receive the necessary stimulation to get deeper into art. After the series of exhibition I definitely was exhausted and needed time to rejuvenate. 

Different paints were tried on this canvas and because of the heat and the humidity of the roof glass house, the paint started to crack and loose its lustre. 'Fish' was done the wrong side up until the last moments. I have always worked on this idea of finding the image as the work grows instead of purposely drawing the image from a vision. I have just come to the realization  that it has been a personal working habit throughout my career.