CHAPTER 10 - The Departed

Start bij het begin

"You told your dad you ordered a camera. Does it mean—?" he wondered his doubts aloud.

She nodded "Yes"

Karthik thought she lied to her dad when she told him; he thought she was pretty good at lies as she gave a fast reply.

"You thought I was a good liar. Didn't you?" She asked sadly.

He nodded as she added "You judge people pretty fast"

"And I am mostly right" he stated.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked dryly.

"I thought you spend money like water and I am right" he replied, as if daring her to oppose.

"You think buying this camera is useless?" she said, trying to stop her anger.

"Of course. You have none to take pictures of, why do you need it? You stay all day at home alone. What would you do with a camera? That too, not an ordinary one. An SLR"

Sindhu thought his explanation seemed right, logically. However, he didn't have the right to judge her based on that; he knew nothing about her. She gifted herself a camera for her birthday; she didn't find anything wrong with that.

She wanted to say a lot of things, call him godawful names but stopped herself remembering he is unwell.

She controlled her anger and said in the softest voice she could muster "Will you sleep or shall I get you something to eat?"

Karthik was surprised with her change of tone. He realized she didn't want to fight with him as he is not well.

"No, I am fine"

"Are you sure? I am making Pav Bhaji" she asked with a teasing smile.

Karthik was startled hearing that; he had no idea how she knew he loved Pav Bhaji.

She looked like she knew it. But, how did she know? Only his mother, Ravi and Tulasi knew that he was crazy about it.

Did Sindhu ask his mother about his likes and dislikes? Is that why she is behaving like the perfect wife he wanted? Is everything he thought about her was all a show to him? Was he played by her?

Karthik liked strong and independent women; but he also wanted them to be caring and homely. And Sindhu is everything he ever wanted in a wife.

She is very similar to Tulasi; He can't help the resemblance he found in them, a lot of times. Their opinions may differ in a lot of things; yet, they are similar in a lot of ways.

He couldn't believe Sindhu was acting the whole time. However, his thoughts instantly shifted to his mother's announcement of their Manali trip. He argued with his mom about it but Sindhu never said a single word during their whole conversation.

Did the two of them plan it together?

Was everything that happened the past two months was all a show? A show that Sindhu and his mom planned?

"Karthik" He heard her soft voice, stopping his train of thoughts.

He looked at her; he was furious seeing her innocent look and knew she was faking it.

"How did you know I like it?" he asked her coldly.

Sindhu blanched. She took time to reply "I guessed"

"You think I can't see through your facade? All your lies and acts?" he fumed. "You think your act of a perfect wife will make me accept you?"

"What are you talking?" she said through gritted teeth.