Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I nod my head and get out of his grip.

I walk over and sit at the table.

"What do you think about it?" Peeta asks me softly.

I sigh, "You know what I think about it." 

He sits down next to me, "I know."

I feel tears start streaming down my cheeks and Peeta frowns at me.

"At least she called to say that much. Isn't it better she called about something this big?" He asks, trying to show me some of the bright side.

I sigh, "I don't know. I thought she would've at least called for my birthday but that didn't happen." I say.

He doesn't say anything.

He knows how much I was hoping for her to call me that day, being we hadn't spoken once since my wedding day and she barely seemed to want to talk then.

"She better not even come when I have her. I will come unglued." I say angrily, tears streaming down my cheeks.

Peeta shrugs, "Katniss, don't be like that. What if she visited before?"

"No." I say harshly.

"Okay, because I could try to get her down here if you wanted me to."

I shake my head, "I don't want to see her. She didn't wanna see us when we offered to visit her and I don't want to see her when I am starting my own family." I state.

Peeta nods his head, "You don't have to but you know what I am going to tell you, don't you?"

"That I need to be nice because she's my mom and she's the only family member I have left? Yeah."

He inhales deeply, "Do you remember the last time I spoke to my mother?"

I think back to May, roughly a month after we got married.

"Yes." I say softly.

"I was thinking about how I told her that she would never have anything to do with us again and how if we had children, even if she begged and was on her death bed, our kids wouldn't know her."

I nod a little, looking at the ground.

I hear his voice cracking.

"I didn't know when I said I never wanted anything to do with her again, that the opportunity would've been taken from me and I don't know how I feel about that." He says in a spacey tone.

I look up at him and see pain cross his face.

"My dad or brothers on the other hand, I wouldn't have minded seeing again. Actually, I wish they were around now to meet her. But I am glad my mom is gone, if I'm being honest." Peeta says softly.

I feel tears burn in my eyes again and I swallow hard.

He finally admitted that to me and I have one family member to see my children, Peeta has his grandparents and his great grandma but it's not the same and we both know that.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do with the baby but she's my baby too. I think we need to let your mom see her at least once, Katniss." He chokes out, "It may be the only time and don't you want to at least say she got to meet one grandparent?"

I sigh deeply, thinking about how true that all is.

"I will think about it but until then, I don't want to see her or talk to her unless she initiates it." I tell him.

He nods, getting up and going to the stove, finishing breakfast.

I sit at the table staring at it and Peeta brings me a big helping of food a few minutes later.

I don't say anything when he brings it, I just look up and give him a sad smile. He returns it and walks away, making his own plate of food, returning a minute later to eat next to me.

"Peeta, can I tell you something?" I ask him softly.

He freezes and looks up.

"Yeah?"

I take a really deep breath, "On my birthday, I a couple of other times before everything happened, my pregnancy and your family, I had some dreams about my dad and Prim. I remember them saying something about how changes were going to happen soon. I never told you because I didn't want you to worry and it's like they knew stuff was going to happen to us." I start.

He gives me a look that says he might be sick.

"They told me to be mature, strong, and never to stop loving you no matter how hard things got."

"And you didn't." Peeta says softly.

I sigh, Prim was right again about this all.

"Do you think they meant about my family or our baby?"

"Both." I tell him truthfully.

He nods, "Okay."

I push my food away.

I don't feel like eating anymore.