Chapter Nine: Back Home

   Sophia sat next to Travis on the ride back to the ranch

   Sophia sat next to Travis on the ride back to the ranch. Since he was leading the horses, they sat on the outside bench in silence. They were going at a decent clip, and the breeze it created felt quite nice on this hot day.

The closer to Turtle Creek they got, the lusher the land became thanks to Exall Lakes. The land out here was untamed, wild, and raw. Sophia basked in the glory of it all. Since her arrival in Texas, she had always been inside a carriage when traveling which made it difficult to get a good look at the scenery. But sitting up there on the bench, out in the open, had treated her with all the sights she hadn't been able to enjoy up until now.

     "I'd like to talk. Can we do that? Perhaps even get to know one another a bit more?"

     "I'm not much on conversating with someone who's lied to me."

Sophia sighed. This man never seemed to make anything easy on her, but she refused to budge. 

     "Well, then I shall tell you about me."

     "No thanks. I'm not interested in knowing a lick about ya. What's the point? What I do know is that you are a deceiving little wench."

     Wench? What is this man's problem? Obviously, he is still upset with me, but calling me a wench is going too far!

     "You dare call me a wench? I don't know who in hells fire you think you are, but I was raised in a respectable family! Referring me to... as a... as...well, a prostitute is very unkind! I am untouched so that word does not apply to me and I think your unfair judgment of my character-"

     "I'll call ya whatever in the hell I want to, Missus Ewing. Ya showed your true colors by lying to me and trapping me into a marriage based on lies. I can't trust ya, and so we have no need to talk."

     "Did you treat your other wife this poorly?"

She immediately regretted her words. From what Elsie told her, the two had been very much in love and bringing his poor dead wife into their problems wasn't fair of her to do. It was downright low. That comment of hers only managed to inflame him even more.

He stopped the horses abruptly, then raised his right hand in the air to slap her across the face but stopped when he saw her eyes widen in fear as tears pooled inside their aqua abyss.

     What in the hell did I almost do? I've never hit a woman in my entire life!

Before Travis could apologize she had scrambled down to the ground below and began running back in the opposite direction as fast as she could. As it turned out, that wasn't very fast at all considering she was wearing heeled shoes and a confining dress. He jumped down to run after her and quickly caught up. Grabbing her arm, he whirled her around to face him.