Chapter 1: Life with the Hunters

I felt a soft breeze brush across my face as the sun shone into my tent. As I slowly started to wake up, I could hear the sounds of birds chirping and the hunters yelling. I was rubbing the sleep out of my eyes when suddenly the curtains to my tent opened and my dad walked in. He held his chin high and his hands were behind his back.

"Good morning my little Phoenix." He said, walking over to me.

"Good morning." I yawned sleepily. 

"Are you excited for today?" Dad asked.

"Why? What's today?" I asked.

I thought about it for a moment and realized, today was my 10th birthday. Today was the day I was old enough to start my training so dad could one day pass the family business down to me. A large smile appeared on my face and I jumped out of bed and started getting ready, all while yelling, "It's my birthday!"

Dad smiled as he watched me run around before suddenly I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck. At first he was startled, but after a moment, he just chuckled and hugged me back. After a few moments, I let go and dad put me back on the floor, before pulling a small box out from behind him.

"Happy Birthday Cyra." Dad said as he handed me the box.

I smiled some more as I took the box and opened it. Inside there was a ring made from black gold with dozens of rudys in it.

(Pic of the ring, credit to owner)

"That ring belonged to my mother, and her mother before that." Dad explained, "Ever since she died, I've kept it close, and now I'm handing it down to you."

I put the ring on and admired its beauty. With all those rudys, the ring must have cost a fortune. 

"Thank you dad." I said, giving him another hug, "I promise to take care of it."

Dad smiled and hugged me back. "I know you will."

Once we separated, dad stood up and said, "Now get dressed and meet me in my tent, I have another surprise waiting for you there."

"Ok." I said, bouncing with joy.

Dad walked out of my tent and I quickly started running around, looking for something to wear. After about 5 minutes, I opened a chest and found the dress I was looking for. It was light green and had lace on the bottom, on the neckline, and at the end of the sleeves. Once I was dressed, I put my boots on and brushed my long black hair before running out of the tent.

As I made my way to dad's tent, some of the hunters waved to me and said hello. They all know me because my dad and uncle were their bosses, and most of them were pretty nice to me. There were a few hunters who were cold to me, but not wanting to make my dad mad, they would just stay away from me. 

After about 10 minutes, I made it to the bottom of the chasm where dad's tent was placed. I ran up to the entrance of the tent and asked to come in. A few seconds later, I was given permission to enter. I happily ran in and was greeted with smiles from dad and uncle Ryker. I quickly ran over and gave uncle Ryker a hug, who just patted my hand.