5

Chapter Five

Leah

It's been a couple of weeks since I last saw Landon. Our last night together ended on a tense note. I didn't have the guts to ask the question I'd been dying to have answered, but I did make a comment about him sleeping with other women. For all I know, though, that comment flew right over his head. He probably missed it completely and has no idea what I was implying.

I should have just come out and asked point-blank. Then, maybe the last two weeks wouldn't have been so difficult. Maybe then, I could have some closure or relief. Damn it! Why didn't I just ask him? Why did I chicken out?

My inner monologue is interrupted by a call from my mother. I think seriously about letting it go to voicemail before swiping my screen to answer.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?"

"Oh, Leah, dear I'm sorry to be calling so late. The last few times I've called I had to leave a message. You must have been keeping busy to miss so many of my calls," she pouts gingerly.

I hold back a groan as I keep my voice level. "Yeah, sorry about that. I've been pretty busy lately. How is Dad doing?"

"He's doing well, sweetheart. In fact, he's thinking about opening up another venue..."

Leave it to my mother to start a conversation by trying to make me question my life choices. My father is a super successful businessman, and entrepreneur, who graduated with honors and went on to build his empire by opening up countless restaurants around the city. A few years ago, he started adding event venues to his list of successful ventures. He makes great money doing it, but I know it kills him that I chose not to follow in his footsteps.

He and my mother think I made a mistake following my dream and entering into the world of social media influencing. Each time another venue opens, they try to guilt me into coming to work at one of the businesses. In their words, how long can your social media thing really keep paying the rent, darling?

It's a constant uphill battle with them, one I'm not prepared to take on today. "That's great! I'm sure it will be just as successful as the others."

I hear my mom sigh on the other end of the line. "You know, he could probably use a good manager there. I'm sure if you spoke with him, he'd hire you for the job."

Here we go. "Mom, I already have a job. A very lucrative one at that."

"Oh, sweety, you know I don't mean to be pushy. We just worry about you is all."

"I know, but you guys have nothing to worry about. Really, everything is going well, even better than I expected."

I can practically hear the wheels turning in my mother's head as silence stretched between us. To my immense surprise, she doesn't push it. "All right, dear. I'm happy to hear that, but if anything should change, don't hesitate to call. You know your father and I just want you to be happy and financially secure."

"Thanks, Mom."

Luckily, that was the end of her attempt to change my career path, for today anyway. We talked a bit longer before she had to go. By the time we hung up, I was feeling even more jolted than before. I needed something to wind me down.

Maybe a night out with Colin and the girls?

Hmmm, it's getting late, maybe a night in?

I start scrolling through my phone as I open a bottle of wine and grab a pint of Ben and Jerry's from my freezer. I add Colin and Charlotte to a group message and scroll through my contacts to find Tessa. As I'm scrolling, a name halfway down my contacts list catches my eye- Landon.

My thumb hovers over his name while I debate my plan for the night. Maybe a bestie night isn't what I need to unwind after all.

I scrap my group message and start a new one. I know just what I need to take the edge off. The one thing that always does the trick. Him.

We haven't spoken in over a week. I know I'll need something enticing to make him pay attention. That's when an idea sparks.

I unbutton my top, exposing the cute new lace bra I got the other day, and slide my shorts down my legs. My lips quirk in a wickedly seductive grin as I snap several pictures. After choosing the best one, I attach it to a message and hit send.

If that doesn't get his attention, I don't know what will.