An Old Story

Louis lived most of his childhood on a remote island surrounded by nature.

Hundreds of insects inhabited the island and many species that wouldn't be found in a single ecosystem lived in a single place. The island was the dream for any biologist.

The plant life wasn't far behind, especially flowers that created a myriad of colorful sceneries wherever one looked.

Such a place with wildlife so varied shouldn't be naturally possible yet it was.

And, since it was an island, Louis could also just take a five-minute walk to the nearby coast and reach the beach, feel the warm sand under his feet, and watch a beautiful sunset every day of his life...

However, despite living in such a magnificent environment, one of his earliest memories was when his father came home late from working in the medical facility on the island as he almost always does.

The tired figure of his with slightly disheveled black raven hair and groggily ruby eyes was one of the first things he could recall.

That, and the ever-so-bright smile that pushed those tired eyes up when little Louis ran towards his father as soon as he arrived from work.

"Dad!" And run he did, almost as if he waited the entire day for his dad to get back home.

"There you ar-omtphg!" The man took the force of a kid-sized cannonball to the chest.

"Aren't- mph" He struggled with his words as his lungs attempted to draw in oxygen after it was forced out of them.

"Aren't you too energetic this late at night?" He picked up the koala hugging his chest by putting his hands under Louis' arms.

"Ah," Louis felt his dad's hands tremble and give out from just holding him up a few seconds.

"You have been eating too much candy, kiddo. I can barely pick you up!" The man complained as he collapsed on the nearby sofa with Louis on top of him.

"Hah!" Louis snorted as he sat up on his father's belly, much to the man's dismay. "Stevia sweetened candy is not like other candy-" The kid immediately started to excuse his candy addiction.

Not that he was wrong. Stevia-based candy had better nutritional value and its impact on blood sugar levels was considerably lower. It is derived from a plant, so, unlike sugar, it also doesn't cause toothache, obesity, or diabetes. It was the perfect replacement for sugar for any person who craves sweets without compromising a healthy lifestyle.

"-so I'm not heavier!" Louis concluded.

"Uhuh." His father agreed with a knowing smile.

"Where did you learn that?" The sly smirk didn't slip off his face and ruffled his son's hair.

Louis shook his head to escape his father's grasp. He huffed and crossed his arms, "Secret!"

"Sureee."

A secret?

How can his dad not know?

There were some slurred big words in Louis' detailed excuse. Words that he was sure Louis hadn't learned from his tutor. That, and certain science terms that shouldn't be in books made for children. He had obviously memorized them, not that he even understood them.

"Dad," A small girl walked down the stairs to the living room where Louis and his father were, "We only have this book left."

Her little hands held a red book, a cover with engraved golden lines that showed eastern dragons, giants, and other fantastical creatures. It was a book of old folklore and myths, the decoloring cover and its peeling leather were noticeable.