27. Chilling Death

It's been a few days since he's been suspended from the university

It's been a few days since he's been suspended from the university. And even more, since he's seen the last of Kang Kihyun. Injured and crying on his carpeted floor.

Now, Sehyuk sits on his couch, staring at the spot the older lad had been sitting on. He sighs, groaning, "Ugh! Where is he!" No phone calls and no messages informing him of Kihyun's whereabouts. "I should've controlled myself," he says, slouching into his seat. The thought of him being gone has been weighing on his conscience. But he hasn't heard any news about him passing away so it must mean he's out there somewhere.

The doorbell rings and Sehyuk sprints, "please, be him," he mumbles in prayer, throwing the door open.

"Oh..." He deflates at the sight of someone else for a moment but then his eyebrows crease and nose flares. "What are you doing here?"

"Sehyuk...I'm sorry, I—we should talk." The visitor pleads, moving closer to the boy.

"I have nothing to say, Jaemin. You played with my trust in you."

"I know! I'm sorry. But please hear me out. If not, then take these as an apology at least." The older boy extends his hand, a box of macaroons and scones held in a transparent packet and his other hand holds an envelope.

"I don't like those."

"Yeah, you love them," Jaemin chuckles, pushing the packet into Sehyuk's hand and earning an eye roll from him. "Also, I didn't come to meet you all these days because I had nothing to offer. But here is what I owe you." He gives him the envelope with cash inside.

Sehyuk sighs, ruffling his blond hair. "It's not about the money, Jaemin. I want to know why you did it. Have you been friends with me to mooch off my money?"

"Of course not!" Jaemin protests, shaking his head vigorously. "You protected me from being bullied and I enjoy your company a lot. It's just...I was in need of money."

"Does that make you eligible to steal?"

The shorter boy presses his lips together and ducks his head in shame. "No...sorry."

Sehyuk takes in a long exhale and gives a half-hearted shrug, making way for the other boy to enter inside. "You have an explanation overdue."

The two sit on the couch Sehyuk had been on previously, maintaining a handful distance between them. Jaemin is nervous, Sehyuk can tell by the way he's rubbing his hands together and licking his lips repeatedly. He waits for the boy to start, giving him time to collect his thoughts.

"I...it all started when I was just a child," Jaemin clears his throat, side-eyeing Sehyuk, who in return throws him a glare.

"Really, not the time for storytelling."

"It all started when I was just a child, a chubby and sad one." The older continues again, ignoring the other. "My parents used to sell fish and the smell clung to me like perfume everywhere I went. Only, it drove the other kids away from me. Whenever I was in the playground, I was isolated. Sometimes even bullied." A small curve of his lips catches Sehyuk's attention. "One time, the kids were kicking me in the park but then someone came to help me. Even beat up the kids for me."