Chapter 2 : Hide And Seek With The Obvious

If gazing at something for a long while had been able to destroy the thing, then the gift box on Christopher's desk would have shattered into pieces by his piercing gaze for the last fifteen minutes. It was five in the evening, the office had started to become empty due to the closing time but he was busy brainstorming ways to return the ridiculously costly present. He was a self-made and self-possessed person and felt like someone had put a ton of bricks on both of his shoulders. But another thing that was bugging him was the question WHY ?

Why had she spent so much money on buying him a present ?

He sighed and leaned back in the chair. Normally, if it were any other girl, he would have thought she was interested in him. But he didn't entertain himself with those ideas since the girl in question was not any other girl, she was Isabel Rosaline Wilder. The only and beloved daughter of his boss. She had given him a watch of seventy thousands whereas his entire month's salary was under sixty. How could she possibly be fancying him ? She was rich, gorgeous and bold. It was just beyond sense that she was taking interest in him, if, that was the case.

“You are still here Christopher ?”

A voice broke his chain of thoughts and he looked up to find Foxen looking down at him, an amused look on his face. Christopher quickly stood up to show respect as not only Foxen was his boss but an elder as well.

“Was about to leave.” - he said.

Foxen lightly chuckled. “You know, it's probably for the first time I found you lost in thoughts and am witnessing you all flustered on being caught. Someone special ?” - he whispered conspiratorially.

‘Your daughter.’ - Christopher's brain provided and he choked onto thin air. Was he really going to say that out loud ?!

Foxen laughed wholeheartedly and placed an arm around his shoulder. “Come on, let's walk down together.”

In words, Christopher was Foxen's secretary but in actual, he was Foxen's right-hand. In a short period of time, Christopher had proved himself to be worthy of his trust that now Foxen gave importance to his opinions in every matter of life, be it professional or personal. He trusted him just as much as his son, Aiden. Speaking of...

“Where's Aiden since this afternoon ? He was not in the project discussion as well...” - Foxen asked with a creased forehead as they stepped out of the elevator onto ground floor.

Christopher grimaced. “He uh.. said he was going out with some ‘friends’...”

The emphasis on friends was enough to cause Foxen's frown to disappear. He loved both his children dearly but his son was a troublemaker even at the age of thirty-one. Then again, he couldn't be wholly blamed as he had taken after Foxen in nature. He exhaled.

“This guy is getting worse day by day.” - Foxen shook his head. “Christopher, do me a favour, will you ?”

“Of course Mr. Wilder, not even a question.” - was Christopher's immediate and obedient reply as he opened the car door for Foxen.

“Pick Isabel up from Cafe Latte. I had asked Aiden to do that on return but I don't think he is reliable. But I know I can count on you, yeah ?”

“Of course Mr. Wilder.” - Christopher replied, smiling.

Foxen's smile brightened. “There is a family coming over to meet Isabel. The guy is a millionaire. Pray for me.” - he said dramatically while taking a seat and Christopher chuckled.

“But why pray for you ?” - he asked.

“Because whenever I bring forth the topic of marriage, she gets upset. So I have just told her some family friends are coming over dinner but...”