CHAPTER NINE: EGGS & WANDS

My friends and I swiftly arrived at the Dining Hall and were greeted by a swarm of other students.

"Greetings students," a voice as rough as bark boomed. Everyone's attention was quickly averted to the middle-aged man, with wiry hair the colour of crow's feathers. "My name is Professor Longhorn, the one and only dragon rider teacher of Lux Academy, I know you have a lot of questions, so I'll let Professor Paisley explain the rest."

He gestured towards a tall, fair-skinned woman with long pale blonde hair, like washed-out gold. "Hello, everyone, I'm Professor Paisley, an advanced charms teacher, and you'll find out soon enough why you've been summoned."

"That wasn't much of an explanation!" some student grumbled.

"Patience is a virtue," Professor Paisley snapped.

"Could all the House of the Unicorn students please make their way over to the tables first," Professor Longhorn ordered.

I watched intently as the students obeyed, walking towards the tables. I noticed that some tables were lined with rectangular birch boxes and square birch boxes.

I wonder what's inside them.

As I observed I was struck with confusion when some students still hadn't picked up any boxes. Surely it was obvious that they were supposed to choose a box.

"Congratulations to those who received a box," Professor Paisley said solemnly. "Those who don't have a box may leave now. Those who do can come back over here and do not open your box or boxes."

"I hope I get a box!" Luna whispered shouted.

"I wonder what's inside them," I pondered.

"I think I know," Sophie said. "But I'm not telling."
"Why not?" Luna complained.

"Because Professor Paisley wouldn't be very happy about it," Sophie replied.

As Luna and Sophie continued to converse I watched on as the House of the Griffin students, took their turn at grabbing boxes. Would I receive a box? Or were these boxes only reserved for those with magical blood? Bitterness swam inside me. I couldn't help that I was born a plain and ordinary human.

My thoughts drifted to my father, who was left on the farm all alone. Was he alright? Homesickness ensnared me like thick vines. I hadn't realised how much I missed my father; I missed him with every fiber of my being. Did he miss me too? Had loneliness started to gnaw at him? Was too late to want to go home? I glanced at Luna who was trying to extract information from Sophie about what she thought was inside the boxes. A soft smile tugged at my lips. I couldn't go home, not now that I had met Luna, Valkyrie, and my other dormmates.

"Students of the House of the Phoenix it's now your turn," Professor Paisley instructed.

I eagerly stepped up to the tables, wondering what I was supposed to do next. Was I supposed to pick up any box? If that was the case why did some students not pick up any? As I trekked around the table stacked with rectangular boxes, an invisible tugged at me, guiding my body, I was no longer in control. I came to a halt in front of a box that looked much older and worn than the others. The once gorgeous silvery white wood was now splintered and dull. The letter 'N' was engraved on the box's lid.

"Why are you standing there like a stunned deer?" Luna asked as she approached me.

"The first letter of my name is engraved on this box," I explained.

Luna's face furrowed with confusion. "I don't see an N engraved on it."

"Really?"

"Yep."