CHAPTER FIVE: HOUSE

After everyone's status is revealed, Principal Goldhart asks for silence. "Now that is out of the way it's time we set foot into the castle and find out what House you all belong in!"

Murmurs of excitement rippled through the crowd, and although I felt down I was intrigued. I heard the huge ironwood door groan as it opened. For the first time in my life, I would be stepping foot inside a castle. I would be setting foot in Lux Academy the most prestigious magic school that everyone wanted to attend. As I stepped foot on the polished birch wood floor, I managed to suppress a gasp of wonder. The floor was polished birch, the walls brick, and the roof marble. From the roof hung a huge crystal chandelier. Two birch staircases wound their way up to the other levels of the castle. Despite feeling weighed down by negative emotions the castle's beautiful interior made me perk up a little bit.

In the middle of the expansive room was a marble statue of a tall, regal woman and behind the woman were four other marble statues. One of a phoenix, one of a dragon, one of a griffin, and one of a unicorn.

I wonder what's that all about.

Principal Goldhart smiled. "I am sure some of you are wondering why there are statues in this room, let me explain that to you."

He gestured towards the statue of the woman with a large sweep of his hand. "This is the choosing statue, her name is Aluma, and she will assign you to a House that best suits you. The four Houses are the House of the Phoenix, the House of the Dragon, the House of the Griffin, and the House of the Unicorn."

I heard many of the purebloods explaining how they wanted to be assigned to the House of the Dragon. The loudest was Felix, who boasted he would be the king of the House of the Dragon. I rolled my eyes.

It seems as if someone has an oversized ego.

"Of course, you'll become the king, no doubt about it," a girl vigorously agreed. I watched as she gazed at him, I was surprised mini hearts weren't pulsing in her eyes. I held in the urge to gag at the grotesque display. The girl was tall and slender and had pale white skin like snow. She had long crow black hair with choppy bangs. Her eyes were purple like amethysts.

"Everyone, listen up!" Principal Goldhart ordered. "It's time you met the House Captains!"

Four students, each wearing a different coloured uniform came to stand in a row alongside Principal Goldhart.

"Let's hear from the House of the Phoenix Captain," Principal Goldhart said.

A tall muscular boy with wavy brown hair and piercing amber eyes smiled and stood forward. Large wings the colour of an eagle's feathers protruded from his back. He wore a yellow and orange uniform.

The same as Addison's. So that must mean she's also in the House of the Phoenix.

"Hi, my name is Phoenix," he said in a deep, husky voice. "I am a harpy and am the proud Captain of the House of the Phoenix. I can't wait to find out who will be selected to join the best House."

He shot the boy beside him a cheeky grin which was returned with a glare.

"Don't listen to him," the boy spat. He was tall and had long night-black hair and green eyes like emeralds. He was dressed in a black and red uniform. "I am Drake, a dragon rider, and am the Captain of the true best House, the House of the Dragon."

"Both of you boys are full of yourselves," the girl beside Drake scoffed. She was dressed in a light brown and gold uniform. She was small and wiry and had long wavy cameral brown hair and mahogany brown eyes. "My name is Harlow, I am a witch, and the House of the Griffin is the best House, no doubt about it."