CHAPTER TWO: MAGIC

"Who are you?" my father growled, threat dripping from his voice. He grabbed an empty bottle of whiskey and gripped it tightly in his hand, ready to use it as a weapon.

"Put that down!" I snapped.

"No!" he hissed. "For all, we know this thing could be a demon!"

"I can assure you I am not," the elderly lady interjected. "My name is Professor Crawford; I am a witch and teach potions at Lux Academy."

"A witch?" he scoffed. "Magic is ludicrous, it's just all illusions and tricks!"

"Oh really?" Professor Crawford said scornfully. "Then explain this!"

She pulled out a short wand with a small kink, it was light brown with a reddish tint to it.

"Exarmare!" she bellowed, the whiskey bottle flung out of my father's hand and smashed into a thousand glimmering sharp shards.

"Movere!" she said flicking her wand towards a chair, it floated in the direction she pleased before it landed behind my father. Before he could react, she shouted, "manere retrosum!"

My father vaulted back into the chair, stunned like a deer in headlights.

"Ligare!!"

My father spluttered with shock and surprise, as he wriggled in his chair trying to move.

"What did you do to me?" he snarled.

"I used a binding spell on you, and I will not free you until you let Nora attend Lux Academy," she replied.

"That was amazing," I breathed, still soaking in the fact that magic did exist in our domain.

"That's what you will learn if you attend Lux Academy," Professor Crawford explained. "I'm sure you'll become a witch, perhaps even a dragon rider too."

"Dragon rider!?" I exclaimed, excitement bubbling inside me. "Dragons exist too!?"

Professor Crawford gave me a wide, warm smile. "Of course, child. Many magical creatures that humans think are myth or legend do in fact exist."

"Too bad you won't be able to see them," my father interjected rudely.

Professor Crawford turned her attention to my father, a deep frown on her face. "She must attend Lux Academy! Although she is just a mere human there is no doubt that she has strong magic running through her blood. Her magic is going to waste here. If she attends Lux Academy it will nurture her magic, like a seedling, so that it grows stronger. Surely, you understand that Deacon."

My father looked thoughtful. "I suppose so. But I'm still not convinced."

"Surely, you've heard of the dark situation the magic world is currently in. Darkness creeps upon the magical world like vine tendrils, choking everything in its path. If students like Nora cannot become strong and fight against this darkness then it will take over everything, and I mean everything. This darkness will not just stop after it takes hold of the magic world, oh no, it will take over the non-magical world too if warriors of light are not raised. We need Nora. Her powers should not be going to waste when they could be used for a purpose," Professor Crawford explained darkly.

My father blinked. Seeming to understand the dire situation that the magical world had been plunged into.

"I certainly don't want darkness to take over the non-magical world," my father said slowly. "So, I suppose Nora can attend the ludicrous magic school."

Excitement overflowed from me. I leaped around the room like a hyperactive young girl. Professor Crawford has a smile plastered on her face.

"Solvite!"

My father slowly rose from the chair and grabbed the letter off the kitchen bench, reading it vigorously. "Where are we going to get all these supplies from? Where am I going to find The Complete Addition of Magical Creatures?"

"No need to worry I have already sorted that all out for you," Professor Crawford answered.

"Vocare!"

At once a pile of supplies of everything that I need appeared out of thin air. I exhaled with wonder. Magic was truly amazing. I dreamed of the day that I would be able to do that too.

"You'll like the little surprise I got you!" Professor Crawford smiled.

A kitten, with fur like obsidian, pops its small head out from behind a stack of books. Its green eyes were like hues of new spring growth, bright and soft. The kitten darted over to me and nuzzled against my navy-blue jeans.

"Nora," a soft voice echoed inside my head. "I'm glad you're going to be my owner!"

"W-what!" I spluttered, terrified. I stared down at the cat and it blinked up at me with wide emerald eyes.

"How did it do that?" I asked Professor Crawford. "How did it talk in my mind?"

"Magic," she replied, with a broad smile. "So, what are you going to name him?"

I stood in thought. "How about Jet?"

"I like it!"

"Very creative," Professor Crawford said sweetly. "Anyway, there is something more serious I need to talk to you about before you'll be ready to attend Lux Academy. Do you know anything about the other races?"

"The other races?" I asked.

"Oh child, you have much to learn to prepare yourself for the Academy, so I suggest you study up! But I'll give you the run of the basics. There are seven magical races. Witches and wizards, dragon riders, vampires, werewolves, harpies, centaurs, and demi-humans. Each race has unique abilities and traits, I suggest you read about them in your book the Guide to the Magical Races."

"Will do!" I said, excited to learn about the magical world.

"Goodbye for now Nora, I'll see you at Lux Academy," Professor Crawford said kindly. "Goodbye to Deacon."

She transformed back into a barn owl and swept out the window.

I smiled to myself; my new and exciting adventure was just beginning. 

***Thanks for reading! I really hope you are enjoying my story and are considering sticking around! If you have any feedback feel free to tell me, I love receiving feedback to be able to improve! Next chapter will be exciting I promise! I'll try to update tommorow, and if not tommorow than as soon as possible!

Thanks again, everyone!***