Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

Just then, the surface of the lake splashed, and Viktor and Hermione emerged, but something about Viktor was a little... fishy.

Literally. His head was the head of a shark, but a second later he pointed his wand at it, and it shrunk back into his long haired human head. Hermione threw her arms around him, and they made their way to shore, where Madam Pomfrey attacked them with blankets and aggressive concern.

"Annabeth!" Hermione said, giving Annabeth a quick hug, but pulling away at Annabeth's wince, which was when she noticed the bloody bite. "What happened?"

"Kelpie," Annabeth said, finally letting go of Percy's hand. Percy made a good show of shaking it out, so Annabeth smacked him lightly in the arm.

Hermione gasped. "But kelpies are so dangerous! They left one in the lake?"

"They say they didn't," Annabeth said, giving a sideways glance to Percy. He seemed to be thinking along the same lines as her. Dumbledore said himself that the kelpies had been removed, and Annabeth trusted his word. Even more, he had said that Hagrid had been in charge of removing them, and Annabeth trusted Hagrid even more. How could one have been left behind?

Then another thought occurred to her as Madam Pomfrey bandaged her arm and rewrapped her blanket so tightly she could barely move. She had been up at the surface for a while. Where was Harry?

As if her thought had summoned him, the surface of the lake splashed again and three heads broke the surface. Harry, Ron, and the little girl. Annabeth sighed. She had told him the girl would be fine.

Fleur tried to run straight into the water to get her sister. The only thing stopping her was Madam Maxime, who was barely holding her back as she hysterically fought to get free. Percy Weasley didn't get that. He splashed right into the lake and tightly embraced his brother, all but dragging him back to shore.

Madam Pomfrey made quick work of everyone, and pretty soon they were all sat down and straight-jacketed in blankets with a cup of hot potion in their systems. Annabeth tapped her foot against the ground, though she was grateful for the warmth. Percy, however, kept squirming impatiently like a worm.

"I can't move," he complained, twisting around. "I don't even need a blanket. I feel like one of those mini hot dogs. This is stupid. What?"

"Nothing," Annabeth laughed. "You just get so whiny when you're restless."

"I do not!"

A screeching sound reached their ears. Annabeth turned her head to see Dumbledore crouching by the lake, where the head of a selkie was above the water, screaming. So the selkies were just like the egg.

"She's telling him what happened," Percy whispered. He snorted. "She just called Viktor Krum a misshapen fish man."

The selkie turned her head and screeched something at Percy. Percy blinked, then screeched something back. Dumbledore looked over at Percy, amused, then went back to his conversation.

"A conference before we give the marks, I think." As he passed Percy, he muttered, "I didn't know your father was so important to be included in annual undersea meetings."

"Uh, he's a biologist," Percy said hurriedly. "For magical creatures. The best in the business. He's really respected."

"Of course," Dumbledore said. He winked, then went to join the judges at their table.

"He knows," Annabeth muttered, smirking.

Percy's mouth fell open. "He pretended not to on purpose!"

Laughing, Annabeth pressed a kiss to Percy's cheek. "Seaweed Brain."

"Wise Girl," Percy grumbled.

Annabeth rolled her eyes, resting her head on Percy's shoulder. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until the judges were ready.