"You know, you should enjoy the food, rather than look that silly journal over," Asteria leans over and says to me.

I jump, unaware she has noticed me being distracted. "My apologies—"

Asteria laughs. "Don't be frightened. It's your first day, after all. I am sure it will take some getting used to all of Alba's instructions. Besides, you are still healing. I am here, as well as the other maids, and we can help ease any burden you have as you become more adjusted."

"Thank you," I say, shoving the journal away slowly. "I am deeply appreciative."

"How about we go on another walk in the garden today?" Asteria asks. "Is there room in my schedule?"

I have to flip the journal back open, but I nod. A walk in the garden sounds refreshing. Now that I have become head maid, this building feels suffocating as I think of all the duties thrust upon me. It will be nice to get some fresh air and enjoy a simple walk with Asteria once more.

"I am afraid that Fe does not have the capacity to do so," one of her guards interrupts.

I turn around, not having noticed the guard in question enter the room. Alba introduced me to several members of the royal guard yesterday since I had not had much of a formal introduction prior to my promotion. If I remember correctly, the bulky, gruff man standing in front of me is named Frederick.

"What ever do you mean?" Asteria asks, almost in an annoyed tone.

"Fe, you have a visitor," Frederick says. "He arrived shortly after breakfast began."

I grip my fork tighter in my hand. Why have I been so foolish? I should have known that my mother would be furious about my inability to write eventually. I had hoped in the past few days to finally send a letter, but between healing from my injuries and accepting my status as head maid, I was unable to, and now, Taika, and presumably my mother, have taken it upon themselves to come visit me. I wonder if I can get the princess to vouch for my absence, but Asteria seems undisturbed.

"That is too bad. I was hoping to enjoy your company, Fe, but I know you must want to visit with your colleague from back home," Asteria says. She gently rests her palm over my own hand. I can feel the warmth from her fingertips radiate onto my own skin."We will have to postpone our walk for another time."

"Forgive me," I say. I open my mouth to ask where Alba is, but then I remember that she is not my supervisor anymore. I do not have to ask how long I am permitted to visit. Instead, I turn back to Frederick. "I will meet with him shortly. Can you tell the guards to escort the princess back to her chambers?"

He nods and departs. Asteria is already rising from her seat, even though I wish there was some way she could delay my visit with Taika. However, I cannot let her sense my anxiety this time. She is beginning to read my emotions too well, and if I let her in even further, I risk jeopardizing the mission. I hope if she sees me looking somberly, she assumes it is because I am homesick.

"I am sorry we could not spend more of the morning together," I tell Asteria before I depart. "I will be back later this afternoon."

Asteria shakes her head. "Don't worry about me. Enjoy your visit. We will go on our walk some other time."

I nod, wondering why I feel such guilt stirring inside me as I leave the dining room. I sigh and begin walking towards the back of the estate, where no doubt, Taika is waiting for me. As I do so, I pass by the maids' quarters and withhold a groan as my paths cross with Josie and Arabelle. I could ignore them, but truthfully, I am still slightly frightened of them.

"Good morning," I say as cheerfully as they can.

Arabelle lets out a faint, "Morning," while Josie nearly dips her head at me. I can hear them whispering to each other as the distance between us grows again. But no matter. I am too nervous about what Taika will have to say to me than worry about the rumors about me being spread among the maids. I remind myself again and again that I can handle whatever scorn Taika shows me. I am now in a greater position than ever to receive information from Asteria. I can only hope he will be thrilled to know of my new promotion.