Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

We sit there and eat, talk, and play games that don't require moving. He sings for me along with the melodies, songs he knows because of the sea teaching him and those that are in his blood. We end up just sitting there and when it's quiet, I find him looking down at me thoughtfully. I just lean into him and he looks at the cave wall brooding. He sighs and puts his head on top of mine as he keeps us up with his arms.

This causes me to look up at him. "Are you okay? Is is your soul again?"

He shakes his head but remains silent. After a while, he sighs again and looks down at me. "Artemis, do you feel any difference in your aura like I do?"

"Well of course, our souls have changed because of-" I start in some confusion at why he's asking me that question. He should know.

"No. Listen to me, I am talking about you and you alone. Your presence, do you sense anything different about yourself?" He rephrases and I look at him weirdly, raising an eyebrow.

I concentrate on my soul and shake my head. "No, not really. Why?"

Point of View: Perseus Jackson

I sense several little strands of life entwined with Artemis's. They are so familiar, yet I cannot figure out why. I know it is the Fates blocking me. Something they won't let me know just yet. But I am positive what it is that makes her different.

I sigh and move my free hand to her abdomen. "Artemis, my Moon, you are with child." I tell her slowly.

Point of View: Artemis Jackson

My eyes widen and now I know I feel different. Really different. I just dismissed it as what I did last night with Percy.

"Several children, actually. They are too close together for me to tell, but I am sure there is more than one, maybe two." He continues.

"Percy?" I whisper.

"Yes?" He asks cautiously.

But I don't answer, not for a few minutes and he starts to worry. "How many are there?" I ask.

"Um..." He looks like he's focusing and intelligence passes through his eyes. "Artemis..." He shakes his head.

"Tell me." I command with tears in my eyes.

His hands move over me, trying to reassure me. Then he just takes my hands in his. He looks into my eyes and I freeze at the number he tells me. "Nine." He whispers. "There are nine little lights connected to your soul."

When I don't speak, he saddens and then says something I know I'll regret if I don't tell him what I want. What I truly want. "You don't have to have them. I understand if you don't want that many children. We can try again for just one child. If you do not want to have so many, you do not have to go through with it." He starts to get up and I pull him back down and kiss him passionately.

This surprises him. "I want to have them, I just didn't realize there were so many. I have wanted to have children of my own for a long time now, but hearing it is very different than wanting it. Knowing about it, it just shocked me. I want your children, Percy. I always will."

He stares at me and then smiles warmly as tears slide down his face. I wipe them off and he catches my hand, shaking his head. "Let them fall. They are not for sadness, but for joy. If I am going to cry, it's going to be because I am happy, not because I am upset." He keeps my hand pressed to his face. "Thank you." He whispers and it makes me grin. "You don't know how this makes me feel." He tells me. He gathers me to his form and hums songs to me, it makes me even more ecstatic.

"I think I know how you feel, Perseus." I tell him and rest my head on his chest.

"Ready for the next stop?" He asks me after awhile.