Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Rat Packs and Mysterious Cats"

Sophia sat in the Rec room of the safe house. Quietly staring at Mjolnir sitting on the table. Throns, Jamie, and Deadpool were resting in the bunk room. Sophia knew she had to wake them in a few minutes. The team had a tight schedule of attempting to catch a transport shuttle bound for New Doom City. If they missed it would be days before another shuttle would be close enough for them to hitch a ride.

Sophia stared at her reflection in the metal of the hammer. One Blue and One Green eye staring back. The calm quiet of the house looming overhead. This was it. Sophia's life was about to change forever. No longer just someone trying to survive in the world. Sophia was going to be known as a hero. Someone people could depend on. It felt almost like a surreal dream.

After waking the others and grabbing their gear. The four departed from the safe house.  Thorns, Sophia, and Jamie all carrying their gear. Deadpool's head dangling from Jamie's belt. Sophia entered the code to put the house back into a rest mode, until they should come back some day. The Four then departed towards their pick up location. The moon still high in the sky, looking over our heroes.

Thorns yawned and rubbed her eyes, still somewhat half awake. Thorns's hair, a soft midnight purple shimmering beautiful under the moonlight Sophia thought to herself. The four had only gotten about a quarter mile from the safe house when Jamie came to a sudden stop. Worry stretching across Jamie's face.

"What's wrong Jamie? Are we at our destination?" Sophia asked, wondering what was going on.

"No, I... I don't know what it is. My Spidey-Sense. It's going crazy. I feel Danger, but I can't see anything." Jamie spoke worry in every syllable.

Sophia quickly pulled Mjolnir from her Belt. With the sound of clasping Thunder, Sophia was clad in the Armor of Thor. Vibrations started rumbling beneath all three of their feet.

Thorns with a move of her hands summoned three tall Oak Tree's. The trees sprouting root-like legs and branch-like arms.  Both Thor & Thorns quickly realized they were about to be hit by a Rattling Raiding band.

Jamie, a novice to the Wastes, knew not that the Rattling struck from below on an unsuspecting targets. Rattling were Rats the size of men, and terribly vicious. While Jamie fought off a group that attacked New Doom City. He hasn't encountered Rattlings since. Thorns & Sophia had tried to stay out of their path. But, not always could one be so lucky in the Wastes.

Then bursting forward came a drill from the ground less then a few dozen feet away.  A drill like ship thrown together from various pieces and parts of other ships strapped together by Rattling technicians. A Hatch in the middle of the ship shot open and came sprawling out of it at least two dozen Rattlings. The Rat-like creatures clad in various patchwork armor and weaponry. Some wielding crossbow-like weapons. Others Swords and axes. Various Rattlings crying out various phrases like "Tasty Humans!" "Easy Score", amongst other horrific mutterings.

Another Drill Machine burst from the ground this time though it was interrupted before it could let out its Rattling Hoard. Two of Thorns's Oaktrees grabbed the machine and with a strong heave the machine was sent flying off into the distance. Crashing into the ground with a firefly explosion.

Sophia channeled energy into her hammer. Then with a mighty swing Thor shot a Thunderbolt into the crowd of Rattlings. Frying each one hit, sending a ricochet bolt off one and into the next.

Jamie quickly pulled on his Spider-man hood. Ducking his head out of the way of flying Crossbow Bolts. Spider-Man somersaulting out of harms way. Deadpool, unfortunately bobbing along took an arrow to the temple letting out a light "Ow!"