now it's time to begin, and gakushu was so glad they were fighting at their best. he didn't think he had ever been this excited for an exam.

gakushu's smirk grew into something vicious. 'quite a showing for a class-E student, however...' gakushu was shown with multiple blades at all angles. 'i have no blind spots-not in math, not in any subject.'

there was a memory he sometimes thought about-something his father taught him when he was eight years old.

"now, gakushu, i want to line up the colours on this cube...all of them, and quickly." the principal was sitting in an armchair in the living room, fiddling with a rubix cube, "with a method anyone could use. how would you go about it?"

"practising using the cross-then-layer method?" the younger gakushu answered.

"that's one option," the principal replied. "but not the fastest method." his dad pulled out a screwdriver from his pocket. "the quickest and most efficient method is to break it apart." gakushu flinched when the cube was stabbed with the tool and broken apart. "and then simply reconstruct it. very logical."

gakushu frowned. "but, isn't that cheating....?"

"cheating?" his father repeated lightly.

gakushu tensed a little, realising his mistake, because the man was never supposed to be wrong. his father was always right, and to imply anything else was disrespectful.

"oh, son." his father suddenly looked amused, placing a hand on his head. "that's a naive line of thinking."

"huh?" he stared at the man warily.

the light above cast a shadow on the man's face."the lesson is to win through any means necessary." he regarded his son for a moment. "if you're going to be a strong man in this society, you need to do whatever it takes to get ahead. "there was a smile on his lips, but it looked rather unsettling. "everyone else is just another step towards your goal."

gakushu's brow furrowed a little as he stared at the small cube pieces scattered on the floor.

"...but sir, isn't the cube going to get ruined," gakushu asked quietly, frowning. "if you keep breaking it?"

gakuho stared at him for a moment, his expression hard to read. "i suppose." he picked up a small red piece of the cube that had fallen on his lap. "but you just have to make sure you're careful how many times you break it."

"hm." the scene shifted back to the present, where gakushu is now scrutinising the question. 'atoms, body-centred cubic units....i can't let these extraneous details throw me off. stay focused.'

'once i get down to the essentials, it's simple.' gakushu appeared in the box. 'solve the volume of your own domain, here in this box, surrounded by enemies.'

a small monster's head appeared in the corner of the box, spawning a gun from its mouth. gakushu turned around quickly and blasted the bolt before it could hit him.