CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: Eddie the banished.

They were walking through the forest and Steve with Dustin were constanly changing directions

They were walking through the forest and Steve with Dustin were constanly changing directions. "Okay, so apparently we're going this way now? I swear to God, if they get us lost..." Cassie chuckled. "They really are two idiots." Max giggled and nodded. "You know, I've been thinking and i don't know, but It's like everyone Vecna targets has something in their life. Something that's hurting them. Haunting them. I don't know, but I've known Patrick a little and i don't know, but sometimes he had bruises and i noticed there was something wrong with him, but he always said he just fell or something."

After a while, they finally made it to Skull Rock and Cassie looked around. "Can't admit you're wrong, you butthead." Steve talked to Dustin. "I concur." Eddie jumped from somewhere, making Cassie flinch. "You, Dustin Henderson, are a... Total butthead." Eddie continued. "Jesus, we thought you were a goner." Dustin walked over and hugged him. "Yeah, me too, man. Me too." Eddie sighed.

"When I got to the shore, I tried calling you guys, but, uh... My walkie was busted, man. Drenched. So, uh, I did the thing that I do now, apparently. I ran." Eddie chuckled as he explained. "Do you know what time this was? The attack?" Nancy asked him. "Yeah, no, I... I know exactly what time it was. My walkie wasn't the only thing that got soaked." He tossed his watch to Nancy, who quickly caught it. "9:27." Nancy read the time. "Same time our flashlights went kablooey." Robin realized.

"Which means what, exactly?" Steve asked. "That that surge of energy was Vecna attacking Patrick." Nancy explained to him. "Well, we're one step closer. We know how Vecna attacks." Robin shrugged. "And where he attacks from." Lucas added. "So now we just need to sneak into
his lair in the Upside Down and drive a stake through his heart." Max joked. "If he has a heart." Cassie added.

"A stake? Is he like a vamp? Is he a vampire?" Steve raised his brows. "It was a metaphor." Max sighed. "A bullet should work on him, right?" Eddie asked. "I say we chop his head off." Lucas suggested. "All of the above, but we can't do any of that 'til we find a way into the Upside Down." Nancy sighed and Cassie nodded. "We need El to get her powers back." Max threw her head backwards. Cassie would protest, but she knew, she couldn't open up gates, so she was basically useless.

"Everything was way easier. We had this girl. She had superpowers." Steve began to explain to Eddie. "Superpowers. Yeah, you mentioned her. Hey, uh, Henderson's not, uh, cursed, is he?" Eddie pointed at Dustin. "Cursed? No, no. He's fine. Mental? Absolutely." Steve nodded. "Boom. Bada... bada... boom. I was right. Skull Rock was north." He shouted, making Cassie jump.

"Seriously? You're serious?" Steve scoffed. "Mm-hmm." Dustin hummed. "This is Skull Rock. Okay?" Steve explained and Dustin hummed again. "You're totally, absolutely, 100% wrong. Right now." Dustin nodded. "Yes. And no." Dustin pointed at Steve. "Oh my God." Steve scoffed.

"This worked correctly when we left the Wheelers'. Correct when we got in the car on Curly. But it started to slip the further east we went. Now it's way off. When I was leading us here, I wasn't wrong. The compass was." Cassie furrowed her brows. "So you're using faulty equipment. You're still wrong." Steve protested. "Except it isn't faulty. Lucas, Cassie, remember what can affect a compass?" Cassie shook her head. "An electromagnetic field." Lucas said. "Yep." Dustin agreed.

"Sorry. I must've skipped that class." Robin put her arms up in defence. "In the presence
of a stronger electromagnetic field, the needle will deflect towards that power. So either there's some super big magnet around here, or..." Dustin trailed off. "There's a gate." Lucas realized. "But we're nowhere near the lab." Nancy raised her brows. "But what if, somehow, there's another gate? A gate that we don't know about. It'd have to be smaller. Way less powerful. Snack-size gate."

"How? Why?" Cassie asked. "No idea. All I know is that something is causing this disturbance, and the last time we've seen anything like it, it was a gate. And I hope it is because then we'd have a way to Vecna. And a shot at freeing Max and Cassie from this curse." Dustin began to walk. "Where are you going? Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Eddie's still a wanted man. We can't just go hike in the woods." Steve threw his arms as he explained. "This little steel capsule might be the key to saving Cassie, Max and Eddie. What say you, Eddie the Banished?" He turned to Eddie.

"I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea. But, uh, the Shire... The Shire is burning. So Mordor it is." And with that the group began their journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun has already sat and the group was still walking. "Something's happening." Dustin picked up speed. "Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie whisper-yelled after him. "I think we're getting close." Dustin was about to walk until Eddie pulled him back. "Watch your step, big guy." Eddie told him as he let go of him. "Oh man." Steve sighed. "You gotta be shitting me." Cassie scoffed. "I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie said. "Lover's Lake." Robin realized.

"This is confounding." Dustin said. "There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Someone asked. "Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way." Nancy explained her theory. "Yeah, only one way to find out." Steve said as he and Eddie went to his boat. "Easy. I... I said easy, man." Steve said to Eddie. "Sorry, dude." He put his hands up in defence.

The 3 got in. "Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us? This thing holds three people tops, okay?" Steve stopped Dustin. "It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max and Cassie. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy said in a calm tone. "You keep an eye out. It's my goddamn theory." Dustin protested. "You heard Nance." Robin said. "Who put her in charge?" He looked at her in disbelief. "I did." Robin shot back. "Compass." Nancy stuck out her hand and Dustin handed it to her.

Steve got on the boat as well and they sailed. "Bedtime at nine, kiddos. Miss you already!" Robin shouted at them as they started to dissappear in the darkness.

After a while, Dustin's voice broke the silence. "They're stopping. What are they stopping for? Guys, what's going on? Come on, talk to me. What's going on?" He talked into the walkie. "Uh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital "aah!"" Robin spoke on the walkie.

"Ugh. When'd Steve get so hairy?" Lucas fake gagged as he watched him through the binaculars. "Right? I keep telling him he needs to tame that jungle, but he claims the ladies dig it." Dustin replies. "Let me see." Max took the binaculars from him and watched. "Are you seriously just staring at my shirtless brother?" Cassie looked at her in disbelied and Max just shrugged. "You guys realize, if there's a gate down there, it's technically a water gate. Watergate." Dustin grinned.

After a moment another voice took their attention. "Down by the water!" An officer shouted. "Shit. Down!" Cassie whisper-yelled at them. "It was on this shoreline. "Dustin, you are a goddamn Einstein." Robin said and Dustin turned the walkie quickly off. "Cops." Max breathed out and Cassie nodded. "We can't let 'em find Eddie." Lucas looked at them. "Stay with me." Max said to Cassie as she grabbed her hand and stood up, pulling Cassie up with her. "Hey, officers! Over here! I found the killer! This way!" Max and Cassie started running and the boys followed. "Get back here, you little rats!" An officer yelled after them. They were running until Dustin tripped and fell, which resulted in an officer grabbing him. "Hey there."