CHAPTER FOUR: Dustins new pet

Cassie spent the whole night thinking about Veronica and her friendship with her

Cassie spent the whole night thinking about Veronica and her friendship with her. Cassie knew this was bad for her, but she couldn't help it. What if Veronica didn't mean any harm?

She was drowning in those thoughts. The brunette really didn't want to go to school, but she knew she had to. So she made a ponytail from her hair and decided to wear just some baggy jeans and a blue sweater. The only think she was exited about was seeding Ma- No, stop it Cassie. The only think she was exited about was Volleyball. She always loved sports, but her parents won't let her play most of them. They say that it was not very 'ladylike', so they made her play the piano. When she asked about Volleyball, her parents were not happy. But when she explained to them, that only girls played it and there wasn't any boys team only girls team, they agreed. She eventually asked for an electric guitar, but when her parents were drunk, they agreed, saying that she has to learn regular guitar first. She wants to start doing athletics, but she knows, she has to wait for a bit and find a reason, that would be 'ladylike' so her parents would let her.

Her mind wandered off to the mist coming out of her hands. She thought about telling Joyce or Hopper, but they're taking Will to the lab and she didn't want to go there. But Joyce would understand, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie was late, but still made it to Mr. Clarke's class. He was talking about Phineas Gage, but she zoned out simply staring out of the window. That was until a voice called her out of her thoughts. "Hey Cass, are you okay?" A familiar voice of a certain redhead asked her. "Yeah, I'm just thinking-" Their conversation was cut off by Dustin, who interrupted Mr. Clarke as he barged in the Classroom.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke.Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks." Mr. Clarke continued in his lecture as Dustin turned towards the two girls. "We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club." He whispered to them. "Why?" The redhead asked as if she read the brunette's thoughts. "I have something that you won't believe. AV Club. Lunch." Mr. Clarke started talking to him about focusing as Cassie started thinking what he could want from them as Dustin's bag started moving, Cassie furrowed her brows and hoped it's nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie didn't really want to go there, but she couldn't say no to Max. So here she is.

"His name is d'Artagnan." Dustin introduced his new pet to the group. "Cute, right?

"D'Artagnan?"

"Dart for short."

" And he was in your trash?"

"Foraging for food." Of course they were suspicious of the creature. Cassie was too, she couldn't help it but she felt like she knew Dart. "You wanna hold him?"
"No, no."
"He doesn't bite."
"I don't want to" Dustin didn't care about the redheads protests and placed the creature in her hands. "Oh, God, he's slimy!" Max said as she passed Dart to Cassie. "Ewww, take him." Cassie passed him to Lucas. "Ugh, he's like a living booger." Lucas passed him to Will. "Ugh, oh, God!" Will passed him to Mike. "What is he?" Mike was the only one who didn't panic, instead he look closly at him. "My question exactly." Dustin sighed and continued. "At first, I thought it was some type of pollywog."

"Pollywog?"
"It's another word for tadpole. A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad."

"I know what a tadpole is."

"All right, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right?"

"Well, Dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water."

"Yeah, but aren't there nonaquatic pollywogs?"

"Terrestrial pollywogs? Yep. Two to be exact."

"Indirana semipalmata. And the Adenomera andreae." Even though Cassie didn't really care, she still paid attention.

"One's from India, one's from South America."

"So how did one end up in my trash?"

"Maybe some scientists brought it here, and it escaped?"

"Do you guys see that?"

"Looks like something is moving inside of it. Whoa." Cassie flinched as Dart jumped and grabbed the redheads hand and even though Dustin had already Dart in his hands none of the girls seemed to let go of each others hands.

"It's okay. It's okay." Dustin started calming the creature down. "I got you, little guy.I know you don't like that. It's okay."

"And there's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ectothermic, right? They love heat, the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him."

"So, if he's not a pollywog or a reptile..."
"Then I've discovered a new species." Dustin grinned and Cassie let go of Max's hand speaking up.

"Yeah, that's great and all, but i have volleyball practice, so i need to go," She said as she rushed out of the classroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie was walking through the halls of Hawkins Middle School as she heard a familiar voice yelling at someone, so she followed the voice.

Soon she saw the party rushing out of a classroom and Dustin fell on Mx.

"What the fuck is going on?" Cassie raised her voice.

"Where'd he go?"

"What was that?" Max seemed as confused as Cassie was. "Dart!" Mike yelled at the redhead "What?"
"You let him escape!"
"Why did you attack him?" This time it was Dustin who yelled. "Come on." The party started walking in different directions and the two girls followed them. "Don't hurt him. Don't you hurt him!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After few minutes Cassie and Max separated. Cassie was walking and she looked out of the window seeing Will run. "What is he doing?" She asked herself as se ran outside.

As she approached him she didn't even notice the party plus Max and Joyce running towards them. She touched his shoulder and flew like 6 feet away from him.

She hit her head, but she opened her eyes again, seeing it. The Upside Down. But not just that, she saw some kind of shadow suffocating Will. She saw that shadow on Halloween and in her nightmares.

Cassie knew she had to do something, so she stood up and pushed Will down out of the way. He dissapeared and the shadow started chasing her. She started to run, but suddenly she was just frozen. Then she remembered. The mist. That was the only way to save her. She looked at her hands but this time, there was no mist. "Shit! Okay, focus Cassie, focus." She tried focusing and she succeded. She wrapped it around a part of the monster and it stopped. But for a minute, she was getting suffocated too.

She shot up as she felt someone hug and comfort her. "It's okay, shhh." She heard the person who she identified as Max Mayfield say.

After a moment Joyce led both Will and Cassie towards the car as she insisted to take the Harrington girl home.