Chapter Seventeen - Tactics

"So this human that follows you around..." Gray began as we walked together through the dark night air. "How long has it been going on?" he asks, not needing to glance around or strain his ears at strange sounds or noises. He could see and hear everything miles ahead with his talent and was constantly at ease as he walked.

"A few weeks" I answered with a voice so quiet it would not be picked up by human ears.

"I know there is no connection going on between you two." he says glancing ahead at the boy who walked a few paces in front of us. "So why do you let him remain so close, and why of all things are you seeking the Origene?"

I was already aware that it was twisted that I was returning to the place I had escaped but something compelled me to do it, something inside me would not let me leave this boy if his life was in danger.

"I gave him my word and I intend on keeping it." I answer, not allowing the other reason so be made known just yet.

"Well it makes no sense to me, but then you never really did." He laughs gently. The soft familiar laugh brings back a flash of memories. "Do you know of any others who left after we did?"

"It seems everyone did." I answer remembering stories of old allies and fellow followers of the Origene.

"After you left and the movement in 86, everyone else realised it was possible. You were the key."

"The Origene is more than capable of keeping its subjects. It was because we were free. We were known in the real world and weren't forced to be a character in a scary story." I reply.

"You kept its subjects Allura. You were the Origene's power, its right hand, anything it wanted you got it, any one it wanted you found. When you left every one realised the Origene's power was diminished because it no longer had you."

I am silent as I take in his words.

Of course I knew the Origene had used me for more than a century, I did our leaders every whim and bidding. I kept order and controlled the armies. I scoured the world for new strong mortals to join our ranks. I was the one that lead the army of Hollows to come out to the world. And even though I knew all of this I had never realised that without me the Origene would be powerless and even now I could not believe it.

I had always believed the Origene did not need me only used me. But perhaps the Origene did need me and now that I was gone it could no longer gain the power and control it had once had with me at its right hand.

"You're the best tracker I know Grayland, I don't doubt your ability to find the Origene, but I doubt your readiness. We were partners you and I and I will not force anything against you." I pause for a moment, looking up at the young man's face though I know him to be old inside. His eyes blackened but not empty the way mine were. No there was a soul in his eyes, even if it was not completely his own.

"Your right about one thing, I am about the only one who will be able to find the Origene. They always keep a shield around them." He begins before I interrupt.

"A shield? But I only know of one who can create a shield."

"It seems you are out of date." He smiles with a hint of mockery. "The Origene has been training all of the old and new Hollows that are still with the Loche to increase a Hollow's chosen ability. Thus a Hollow is able to reach its full potential sooner than it would on its own. Void's can create shields. Feeders can control the mortal they feed from. Users can use without drugs thus being more lucid and in control. Trackers can track further and track more souls at one time and stealers can steal mass amounts of souls in the same time it would take to steal one."