Caroline's Birthday

Estel's POV

It's been nearly a month since I returned home and it's been amazing. I've tried to avoid drama. So I've been ignoring Damon and Klaus' calls. Focusing souly on my sister. Who turns eighteen today. I'm in charge of her cake, while the others are doing decorations. But apparently Care didn't go to school today when she left this morning. Which is strange.

So I invited them over to surprise Caroline. Bonnie helped me decorate the cake while Matt and Elena decorated the living room. "Any idea why she didn't come to school?" I ask Bonnie.

"I can think of a few, one being Tyler" she states.

"Are they fighting?" I ask her.

"It's his sire bond to Klaus, Jeremy and Ric nearly died because of it" she tells me. I look at surprised. "You didn't know?" she asks shocked.

"I've been avoiding Damon's calls and drama in general" I tell her. "So I'm kind of out of the loop" I state.

"Well long story short, Klaus had Tyler hang out with Jeremy to get him off of vervain. Then compelled Jeremy to sand in front of a speeding car without his ring. Ric pushed him out of the way and got hit instead. One of Klaus' hybrids was behind the wheel" she explains.

"But Ric had his ring on?" I ask.

"Yes, but it doesn't seem to working well for him anymore. Usually he is fully healed when he comes back, this time he wasn't and Damon feed him some blood" she states.

"Ok, but why would Klaus do this in the first place? What's he after?" I ask her.

"His family, Stefan stole them and he thinks targeting us will get them back" she states.

"I'll talk to him" I tell her. I hear Care's car. "It's time" I say and we join the others. We all hide. Caroline enters the house and we jump out saying "Happy Birthday!"

"What are you guys doing here?" Care asks.

"I live here" I remind her.

"Well you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art, so..." Elena says putting a crown on Care's head.

"Change into warmer clothes, we are going to the Falls. S'mores, camp fire" Bonnie says.

"Cake! Like when we were little" I tell her.

"Except for the tequila!" Matt declares and we all chuckle.

"Thanks, guys. Really, um, I'm just not feeling my birthday this year" Care tells us. I gasp in shock and run over checking her temperature. "What's are you doing?" she asks me.

"Checking your temperature, you're clearing unwell" I tell her.

"I'm sorry, what? You've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day of the year" Bonnie adds.

"Exactly, are you sick?" I ask Caroline.

"I'm fine" she assures me. "It's just a reminder that technically, I'm dead. Look, I didn't even like 17. And the only point to being 17 is to get to 18. It's a filler year; I'm stuck in a filler year" she explains.

"You're not stuck Caroline" Elena and I tell her.

"Yeah I am, but it's okay. You know, it's all good, I'll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it" Care tells us.

"Hell no, my sister never wallows in anything" I tell her.

"Okay, well I think I have another idea" Elena states. We move the party to the cemetery.  The Fell crypt to be exact. Elena suggested a wake, so we all said things we loved about Caroline and what made her, her. She then blew out the candles on the cake and the party started.