Know Thy Enemy

Estel's POV

Caroline and I are leaving our house, to continue our search for Matt. She's on the phone to Stefan while I lock up. "We can't find him anywhere. He's not at home. He's not answering his phone" she tells him.

"How could you let him go?" he asks.

"Our mom walked in. He took off. I didn't know what to do" she states.

"Did your mom hear anything?" he asks.

"No, she thinks they're fighting" I state.

"Stop eavesdropping" she tells me. "Anyway, he knows about us and is freaking out about Vicki" she tells Stefan.

"All right. Listen. You both have to find him. You have to calm him down. Compel him if you have to. Is he still on the vervain?" he asks her.

"I slip it into his soda when he's at work, but I didn't get to last night, so it's out of his system. He has a catering shift at the Lockwood's today.  We're gonna try there" she tells him. She hangs up as we get into my car. I start to drive us to the Lockwoods as she tries Matt again. She gets his voice mail again.

When we arrived we didn't see Matt. So went in search of Carol. We find her talking to our mother and interrupt them. "Mrs. Lockwood, uh, have you seen Matt? I thought he was working a catering shift at today's luncheon" Care says.

"No, I haven't, honey. Sorry. But if you see him, could you ask if he's heard from Tyler?" she asks her.

"Yeah, of course. Um, still no word from him?" Care asks her.

"No. The note he left said he needed time to figure some things out, but I wish I knew where he was" she states. I spot Elena and Stefan. I point them out to Caroline.

"Um, excuse us" Care says and leaves. I went to follow and mum stopped me.

"Applied for any colleges?" she asks me.

"Not yet, I've actually been thinking of taking a gap year to travel" I admit.

"Estel..." she goes to say.

"Mum, I'm still going to go to college. I just have never left this town aside from the day trip to Richmond. I want to explore the world a little before college" I tell her.

"We'll discuss this at home" she tells me. I nod my head and go over to the other three.

"Any idea where Matt is?" I ask.

"None, but we'll help you both find him. I just have to accept this thing for Jenna" Elena states.

"All right. Well, call me when you're done, and we'll be out looking for him" Care tells her.

"Where to next?" I ask Caroline.

"Water hole?" she suggests. I nod and we go continue our search for Matt. After grabbing a blood bag each from the Salvatore's house.

(Time skip)

We searched everywhere and no sign. We're home right now. Caroline leaving another voice mail. While I entered the house to find Matt in our living room. "Care!" I call and she enters.

"You're here" she says with a smile small.

"Do you want me to stay?" I ask her.

"No, I got it" she assures me. I nod my head. I go to my room and continue my research on magic. I still feel mine and am trying to access it. Not an easy task. Considering Witches serve nature and vampires are an abomination of nature.

'If you want your magic back, kill the doppelganger' the voice says.

'Not this again, Elena is my sister's friend. If I kill her, I would be hurting my sister and that is something I will never do' I tell it. 'Now, if you want me to stop the sacrifice. I will need my magic' I state.

'And if you should fail?' it asks.

'Then I die' I state.

'Very well, but know this. If you fail, you will die at my hand' she tells me

'I understand' I tell her. Suddenly loud chanting fills my head and I clench it as it hurts painfully. I hold in my scream, not wanting to disturb Matt and Caroline. I black out.

(Time skip)

"Estel" Care says shaking me awake. "Are you ok?" she asks me.

"Yeah, guess I was tired" I tell her. "How did it go with Matt?" I ask her. Her eyes fill with tears.

"I told him everything and he had me compel him to forget" she cries. I pull her into my arms and hug her tight. I comfort her and she falls asleep in my arms. I laid her down and got ready for bed. I look at the candle on my nightstand.

"Incendia" I say and it lights up. I smile, I have my magic back. But now I have to stop the sacrifice or kill Klaus. I blow the candle out. I decide to keep my powers a secret. I'd use the element of surprise to get a jump on Klaus. I'll kill him and I'll live forever with my sister. But if I fail, I die. Can't do that Caroline, I won't leave her alone in this world.