27. but its golden like daylight

"You cannot escape us, Leo Valdez," it said. "We do not like possessing machines, but they are better than tourists. You will not leave here alive."
"Are you kidding me?" I seethed.

Frank and Hazel were knocked out clean. I had fallen beside them and hit my head. I considered opening my medkit but I was too dizzy to even urge my hands. The last thing I heard before everything went black was the Lion head masked guy speaking to his comrades.

"A male and female demigod," said Lion Head. "These will do, if the others die. And the girl." Part of me felt like they were referring to me. "She is being seeked out. He will want her too. We do not need you, Leo Valdez."

What woke me up was, ironically, the electric shocks. It sent a ZAP through my entire body and it was like adrenaline coursing through my veins. I sat up groggily, trying to squint and restore my blurry vision. All I saw was Leo with watery eyes. I stumbled to my feet and backed away from Hazel and Frank's bodies, wearily avoiding making noise or coming into contact with the weird Taser ball that had shocked me.

Leo held some kind of sphere in his hand. I frowned at his hands and met his eyes, seeing them filled with desperation. "I need the access code for this sphere," he said. He broke open the cookie.

He took out the paper and with trembling fingers, Leo turned the rings. Outside the gates, Wolf Head growled in frustration. I knelt beside Hazel in a dizzy haze and placed my hands on her neck, right where you feel the pulse. I gently shook them both and they didn't reply. Their eyes were white, rolled as far back as they could go. I was tempted to change their lying position, into the recovery position, but I left it to avoid unwanted attention. Confusedly, I just stayed quiet and still so the eidolons didn't even glance my way.

"If friends do not matter to you, perhaps you need more incentive. Perhaps I should destroy these scrolls instead—priceless works by Archimedes!" The last ring clicked into place. The sphere hummed with power. Leo ran his hands along the surface.

The gold sphere shuddered. It grew a tripod of legs and clattered over to the Taser ball. A tiny circular saw popped out of the gold sphere's head, and it began cutting into Taser ball's brain. Leo tried to activate another orb. This one burst in a small mushroom cloud of bronze dust and smoke.
"Oops," he muttered. "Sorry, Archimedes."
"What are you doing?" Wolf Head and I asked in unison. Well, Wolf Head demanded it. "Stop your foolishness and surrender!"

"Oh, yes, I surrender!" Leo said. "I'm totally surrendering!" He fidgeted even more.
A ruby orb spun into the air and sailed straight for the cubbyholes. Thin golden arms extended from its middle and snapped up the precious scroll cases.
"Enough!" Wolf Head yelled. "I will destroy the—" He turned in time to see the ruby sphere take off with the scrolls. It zipped across the room and hovered in the far corner. "What?!" Wolf Head cried. "Kill the prisoners!" He must have been talking to the Taser ball. Unfortunately, Taser ball was in no shape to comply. Leo's gold sphere was sitting on top of its sawed-open head, picking through its gears and wires like it was scooping out a pumpkin.

Thank the gods, Hazel and Frank began to stir, so I began the process of 'helping unconscious people!' (AKA, yelling if they're okay.)
"Bah!" Wolf Head gestured to Lion Head at the opposite gate. "Come! We will destroy the demigods ourselves."
"I don't think so, guys." Leo turned toward Lion Head. His hands worked the control sphere. Lion Head shuddered and lowered his sword.
Leo grinned. "You're in Leo World, now."
I think I'm starting to like it in Leo World.

Lion Head turned and stormed down the stairs. Instead of advancing on us, he marched up the opposite stairs and faced his comrade.

"What are you doing?" Wolf Head demanded.
"We have to—" BLONG! Lion Head slammed his shield into Wolf Head's chest. He smashed the pommel of his sword into his comrade's helmet, so Wolf Head became Flat, Deformed, Not Very Happy Wolf Head.
"Stop that!" Wolf Head demanded.
"I cannot!" Lion Head wailed.
Both suits of armor dropped their swords and shields and slapped each other repeatedly.