14. in my mind

I nodded. Kansas. Out of the corner of my eye, as I faced Piper attentively, I swore I saw Leo looking down at me with sparks of flames on his fingers. The only time I've seen that happen was when he was nervous about something. So, what?

Going to sleep was probably meant to be the least eventful part of my day. Haha.. guess what?

I opened the door groggily and climbed under the sheets. They were freezing cold and I found myself curling up to prevent the cold from creeping in. I breathed on my hands and let my eyes shut naturally. Just before the darkness completely overtook me, the door creaked open. I sat up tiredly, squinting to avoid the hallway light straining my eyes. Leo trudged in exhaustedly, whispering to himself.
"Just 10 minutes." he murmured, kicking off his shoes at the bed. "Then get up and watch the landing. Check out," his thoughts were interrupted with a yawn. "Festus."
"Um, Leo?" I said, my voice croaky with fatigue. He glanced up, like a deer in headlights. Another yawn overtakes him. "You alright?"
"Sorry." He sat on the bed and ran his fingers through his curls. "I thought I would be fine pulling an all-nighter." By the dark circles under his eyes I could tell he needed sleep. He eyed the bed, then me. I could hear my own heart pounding. "Do you mind if I.." His finger pointed to the bed for a moment but he pulled it back. I lifted myself up a bit more and nodded.

"You look like you need it."
"Flattered." he grinned, climbing into the bed beside me. His body did not recoil the same way mine did in reaction to the temperature. He seemed to just melt into the covers, clutching the pegasus feather pillow and inhaling the crisp cold. I pulled the covers back over me and would feel it right away. The heat radiating from the other side of the bed. I flipped myself over to face Leo - his eyes were fluttering open and closed as he slowly slipped into unconsciousness. He would be knocked out. So, what if I just..

I scooted forward. Then, slowly, I turned around again so I was facing away. The change of climate, going from gritted teeth and goosebumps to a state of immediate comfort, was absolute and automatic. Leo stirred from behind me. Because I faced away, I couldn't brace myself for the banging noise that came next. I jolted up, whipping around to see Leo on the floor, rubbing his neck.
"Was that my fault?" I said, climbing out of the blanket to kneel beside him. He yawns once more.
"Nah. I was surprised at how close we were.." He admitted, his face flushing red (I couldn't tell if he was nervous or the hotness from his side of the bed.
"Sorry." I smiled. "It's freezing so I must've moved closer for body heat." Must've? I had intentionally made small movements to get cozier with Leo Valdez. Oh my god.
"Hey, if you wanted to spoon you could've just asked." He grinned, proud of himself for that one. He stood up and extended a hand to assist me. I took it and hopped back under the sheets. "Move over." he groaned, shoving me and reclaiming the comfy part of the bed.
"Fine." I said, facing away and clamping my eyes shut.
"Wait. Here." He patted the spot beside him. Thank god it was dark, because I was bright red. I gratefully moved into the spot and felt my whole body tense up as he wrapped an arm gingerly around me. I gulped, looking back at him awkwardly.
"You're so hot." I hissed. His eyes widened and a massive smirk grew on his face.
"Oh am I?"

"No!" I shouted, slapping a hand over my mouth. The last thing we needed was for Coach Hedge to come and walk in on this scene - he had spent the first hour after curfew doing his nightly duty, walking up and down the passageway yelling,
"Lights out! Settle down! Try to sneak out, and I'll smack you back to Long Island!" He banged his baseball bat against a cabin door whenever he heard a noise, shouting at everyone to go to sleep, which made it impossible for anyone to go to sleep.
"I meant your body." I tried not to liquify in the heat. "You're really warm. You know that could be menopause? Or periodic fever syndrome? Do you eat healthy?" I buzzed, placing a hand on his forehead. He grabbed my arm and flung it off.

"Okay doctor." Leo shook his head. "How about you leave the diagnosis for tomorrow and be happy I'm dealing with you."
"Right. Goodnight Mr. Supersized McShizzle." I yawned, resting my head on the pillow and closing my eyes.
"Goodnight, Icicle." He replied soothingly.
This was going to be humiliating to recollect tomorrow.

AUTHOR's NOTE
sorry its so short!! its a very filler chapter and i might connect the next chapter to this one tomorrow well see. i was on such a roll last night idk what happened today but thats okay anyways i wanted to add a little scene like this before making the whole book slowburn again. tell me if its moving too fast or if you like the pace or if they need to like hurry up and make out already (hey im not judging)

i love you all sososososo much (to the moon and to saturn)
theres not many of you readers atm but please know i am acknowledging those who read this early on. fingers crossed we get a few reads by the end of this book. also lmk what you think about part two because im happy to do a house of hades one after this if theres still room for like a narrative

stay safe everyone (idk what from i just wanted to say that)
muah muagahamhuahm from amelielearav