Chapter 9

The bustling campus was a canvas of activity as Y/N hurried through the pathways, her backpack slung over one shoulder. She could feel the hum of anticipation in the air, a palpable energy that seemed to infuse every step she took. Her heart raced, not just from the brisk pace, but also from the realization that she had forgotten about the mock trial that their class was participating in today.

As she neared her destination, Y/N's thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice calling out to her. "Y/N! Hey, wait up!"

Turning, she spotted Marcus jogging to catch up, a smile on his face that was both reassuring and infectious. He fell into step beside her, his breath slightly labored from the rush.

"Hey there, speedy," Marcus teased, his tone light and friendly.

Y/N offered him a sheepish grin, her cheeks flushing with a mix of embarrassment and relief. "Hey, Marcus. Sorry, I'm just in a bit of a hurry."

Marcus raised an eyebrow playfully. "Don't tell me you forgot about the mock trial."

Y/N's eyes widened, and she groaned softly. "You heard about that, huh?"

Marcus chuckled, a twinkle in his eyes. "You're not the only one. Seems like half the class is in a frenzy."

Y/N's shoulders slumped as they walked, the weight of her oversight settling in. "I can't believe I forgot. I was stuck on this crazy assignment all night, and none of my classmates were responding to my messages."

Marcus gave her a sympathetic look. "Well, at least you can still try to salvage the situation. And who knows, maybe you'll impress everyone with your last-minute brilliance."

Y/N offered a weak smile, appreciating Marcus's attempt to lighten the mood. "Yeah, let's hope so."

As they approached the building where their mock trial was to take place, Y/N's anxiety grew. The feeling of unpreparedness gnawed at her, and she wished she could turn back time to be more organized.

"I know you're stressing, Y/N, but remember, even if things don't go perfectly, it's not the end of the world," Marcus reassured her, his tone warm and encouraging.

Y/N nodded, her fingers tightening on the strap of her backpack. "Thanks, Marcus. I needed that."

The class gathered in the room, nerves and excitement mingling as the mock trial began. Y/N did her best to focus, to channel her jumbled thoughts into coherent arguments. The process was both challenging and exhilarating, and as the trial progressed, she felt a surge of determination to make the most of the situation.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the mock trial came to an end. Y/N's heart pounded in her chest as the verdict was announced, and to her surprise, their team emerged victorious. A mix of relief and pride washed over her, and she exchanged triumphant smiles with her teammates.

As the class dispersed, Y/N and Marcus made their way across the campus, their pace more relaxed now. The weight of the earlier stress seemed to have lifted, replaced by a sense of accomplishment.

"Congratulations, Y/N! You guys killed it in there!" Marcus exclaimed, his enthusiasm contagious.

Y/N grinned, her cheeks flushed with a mixture of joy and relief. "Thanks, Marcus. It was touch-and-go for a while, but I'm glad it turned out well."

Marcus's eyes twinkled mischievously. "You know, if all else fails, you could always try to charm your way into Quackity's heart."

Y/N laughed, a genuine sound that echoed in the air. "Oh, trust me, that's not a strategy I'll be relying on."

As they reached the designated spot, their mouths watered at the sight of a sushi stand offering free rolls to celebrate their victory. Y/N's smile widened as she picked up a plate, her heart lighter than it had been all day.

As they savored their sushi, Y/N couldn't help but reflect on the twists and turns of the day. From the forgotten mock trial to the unexpected triumph, it had been a rollercoaster of emotions. And through it all, she had her friend Marcus by her side, offering support, encouragement, and a healthy dose of humor.

With a sigh of contentment, Y/N took a bite of her sushi, her gaze drifting across the campus.