Chapter 29

"Ness, wake up."

The dream that Mitsuhide's voice gently roused her from was of a dark and formless fog like that which had accompanied the wormhole. The cold, sick feeling lingered as she opened her eyes. White fabric filled her vision. Where was I...? Then she bolted upright with a gasp.

"Mitsuhide! Has something happened? Is everything alright with..."

She turned immediately to their unconscious patient. A pair of familiar, inquisitive, bright green eyes looked back. Ieyasu. Ieyasu was awake. Ieyasu was awake, sitting up, and looking at her.

「Ieyasu.」

It was a bad idea to hug a man in Ieyasu's physical condition, so obviously that's what she did. She threw her arms around him tightly. He let out a strangled groan. It sounded very much like he was forcing himself not to make a much louder sound. Oh shit! Bad Ness!

「Oh, no! I'm so sorry, I...」

Oh my god, I hope I haven't hurt him again. She moved to pull away as she stammered apologies. Ieyasu lifted his arms and tightened them around her. He made another soft, pained groan as he did so, but his hold was sure. Warmth burst in her chest like a firework.

「Stop wriggling. Are you trying to kill me?」

He was hoarse but his voice sounded strong. And irritated. She felt a rush of relief. It was exactly how he always sounded. Ieyasu. I'm so glad you're okay. I'm so happy to talk to you again. I was so afraid. She looked up at his face, so close that she could feel his steady breath. One side was dark with bruises and his lower lip was split. She had so much she needed to tell him.

「You're doing a good enough job by yourself! What were you thinking?! You could have died Ieyasu. Didn't y-」

Ieyasu bowed his head and claimed her lips with his, along with the rest of her words. She froze. Just like the first time, the kiss was fierce and angry, his tongue plunging into her mouth to overwhelm her with heat and power. The firework in her chest shattered into a thousand glowing embers. She sighed between his lips, and he claimed that too. Then he pulled away and left her panting for air, her cheeks burning with heat.

「Now you know how I feel when you do something stupid. Which is distressingly often.」

He continued their argument as if he hadn't just kissed her like they were at war with each other. She, on the other hand, pink-cheeked and panting, was already coming a little undone at the seams. Say something! The words failed to come. Ieyasu's mouth turned up in a brief, wicked smile, his lower lip adorned with a bead of scarlet blood. Oh my god... A pool of warmth swelled low in her belly at the singular sight of that smile.

「Kiss me again,」he demanded.

That demand felt like nothing less than an order. One I really want to... no! We can't be doing this. She heard the kitsune's soft laughter from nearby. Mitsuhide. Oh my god! I can't do this in front of... I shouldn't do this at all! Fuck! What do I...? She somehow summoned up enough effort to unwrap her arms from around his frame and push gently at his chest.

"You can't tell me what to do, Iey-"

He kissed her again. It was no gentler. So much... anger. No... that's not it. Dominance? Possession? Desperation? Ness had a sudden strange moment of clarity. He's not angry. He's in denial. Then he let out a hiss. She tasted copper on her lips. She let out a noise of protest. This time he let her push him away and urge him to lie back again. The wound on his lip had reopened. His gaze went over her shoulder.