18. Unearthing what's lost

Start from the beginning

The very thought gives Puro heartache.

'Did Puro really do it?'

Puro recalls something about his latex kin, supposedly whenever a latex assimilates a human host, they gain strength and power...becoming stronger than the average latex. From what he can tell, he is a lot stronger than the other black latex wolves...not to mention that time he didn't even break a sweat fighting those mean latexes from the aquarium.

All of this meant that Puro must have assimilated a human...there is little else a latex can do to gain strength without resorting to fusing with other latexes.

'Maybe Human's words have some truth in them...' Puro thinks with a whimper.

Unable to focus on the page he is reading, Puro closes the book, leaning back onto his beanbag...gazing at the ceiling...his worst fears seemingly coming true...

'What should Puro do...?'

He doesn't know...he just doesn't know anymore...

He just wants that last chance...one more chance to see Human again...to set things right...that one chance to reclaim that friendship he treasures so much.

...

*Swoosh*

And perhaps...that chance might've come sooner than he expected...

Stepping into the main library, you find yourself feeling a stronger sense of nostalgia, recalling the events that lead you here to the library for the first time. The white wolf, the cat, the black latex wolves and dragons...even the Elder himself...it feels strange how you view the latexes now compared to when you first met them.

You were so terrified...but now? Honestly they weren't as bad as you initially made them out to be, funny how much waking up misplaced with no memories could change a person.

You recall your first meeting with Hunter and Scar, when you were first transfurred by them. It was just as scary when you were first transfurred by that cat, you knew nothing back then. So much has changed in just a few days.

Stepping onto the carpet floor, you gaze upon the shelves of books with a few overgrown trees, recalling the events of your time at the library. Neon places a paw on your shoulder, grabbing your attention.

'Wolf is this way.'

You nod in acknowledgement, heading towards the heart of the library, leaning forward...peering from behind the bookshelf...to see Puro himself. Puro is currently lying his back on the beanbag, with a book discarded not too far from him...doesn't seem like he is in the mood to read.

You see the conflict, the guilt and a sense of displacement...a latex wolf who doesn't know what to do anymore.

But then, at the corner of his eye, he spots you.

Leaning up from his beanbag, you can see his eyes widen...

*FLOOF*

His fur puffs out, his tail wagging slowly almost as if he seems...hopeful.

"Human? Is that really you?"

This is it...it's now or never.

"Yeah...it's me."

The second you say those words, you can see a small spark in his eyes.

"H-human, you came back...you really came back. Puro thought he would never see his human friend again! P-Puro wanted to...Puro doesn't even know what to say. Puro is troubled about what you said back in the aquarium."