1. Awaken

Silence envelops the white stainless room. Lights blink on and off rhythmically. A cryopod rests in the corner.

But then it awakens.

*Critical Alert*

Internal battery at 5%

Preparing emergency release protocol...

Initiating release of the occupant in 3...2...1...

*Splash* *Thud*

You awake suddenly, everything a blur as you fall to your shaking knees and take a deep gulp of air. You feel the world float and spin around you as your limbs struggle to support themselves. Gut-wrenching pain grips your stomach, and you throw up cryo fluid to relieve it.

Now feeling marginally less horrible, you look down at yourself and notice you are wearing nothing but a pair of black shorts.

"Where-" your voice croaks before a coughing fit wracks your body.

Spitting some of the vile taste from your mouth, you slowly take in this strange lab room bordered by complex machinery you can't make heads or tails of. The last helpful memory you can access for this was...actually, you can't recall anything.

That's... probably bad.

You notice a notepad on the singular desk in the corner of your room. Stumbling over, you read the hastily scrawled text on the pad:

Heed my warning:

Monsters are lurking around the building, and I can't guarantee that they mean well.

I don't know how long you will be asleep or if my plan works. But no matter what, please keep yourself safe if I'm not around to protect you.

Forgive me for everything I had to do. I didn't want it to end like this.

'Monsters...? And what's this about a plan?' you ponder.

*Bang* *Bang* *Thud* *Slush*

Sounds emit from a vent in the corner of your room.

'What was that?'

You don't have to ponder for long as something white and slimy begins to squeeze through the gaps of the vent, pouring out onto the floor. You have no clue what that thing is or why it was in the vents, but you know it is alive.

It squeezes all the way through before laying motionless on the floor, just a tiny puddle of goo. It then extends upwards and 'looks' around as if searching for something in the room, pausing when it faces your direction. Your blood quickly freezes in dread.

Does it see you?

The goo starts crawling in your direction. You watch in horror, thinking quickly about what the note said about 'monsters' and realize this is one of them. Alarmed, you quickly back against the wall to gain as much distance as possible from the sentient 'thing' as it wiggles its way towards you.

Countless thoughts run through your head as you think of the possibilities of what will happen. Is the goo poisonous? Will it melt your body if you come into contact with it? Or is there something worse that will happen?

A quick scan of the room reveals a door, and you rush to it, only to find it is locked by a keycard scanner. You grit your teeth and turn around to see the blob has tracked your movement and has been closing in on you the whole time. You're beginning to accept the fact that your journey will end pathetically in the very room you started when-