16.5 Piecing things together

Special thanks to the chads patching up this story's mistakes and typos: Kranfoel, McHanz, Lil_Proto, and Delta Soldier!

'So you are on a quest to find your parents?' Blue asks, looking at the photo of you and your family.

'Well yes, that's the idea.'

'Well that won't be an issue, just give me enough time and we'll find them.' Blue says setting the picture down on the bar.

'Umm...just like that?'

'Just like that! This isn't the first time Teyla asked me to help her with this project of hers.'

'She's right, Blue's helped me with this project a ton! She's the reason I can find the latexes and their histories at all.' Teyla explains, sitting right next to you.

'But how?'

'Why, by asking all of my customers of course!'

'I don't see how asking them one by one could help.'

'Ahh but that's only a small part! What really helps is spreading the word.'

You look at Blue, slightly puzzled.

'I don't follow.'

'Human, you do understand how fast news spreads here? We are a united community, this institute is our home. We are everywhere! So, when an interesting news comes up, whether it's a new behemoth, news of the outside world...or a human that is seen wandering around the institute...' Blue trails off.

'Everyone here is bound to hear about it sooner rather than later.' Teyla explains.

'Exactly! And the fact that you are a human in search of your parents might just speed the whole process along.'

'Do you think it will work?'

'Most of the time it works.'

'Most?'

'There's a chance that the person or human we are looking for didn't make it through the riot, or something else happened to them.' Teyla explains.

'Although unlikely, it does happen...and that's the worst-case scenario for this search.' Blue adds in.

You shudder at the thought of your parents being dead...although, in the alternative... you are not quite sure what to make of it.

'Are you ok?' Blue asks, concern is clear in her voice.

'I'm worried...'

'About your parents?'

'Yeah.'

'Well I'm not saying you should jump to conclusions, but I'm sure they are still here somewhere, we just need to find them.'

'But that's just it.'

'What's it?' Teyla replies, asking for clarity.

'Do I want them to be found? Do I want to see what they've become? Do I want to see them turned into latexes, or know that they're dead? I don't know which one I would prefer. The idea of seeing my parents turned into something else scares me, but the idea of knowing that they passed away at least assures me that they were still 'themselves' till the last second. But I don't want to lose them either!' you cry out.

You don't know which outcome you would rather be true, the hope of them being alive and human is just so slim. And your experience with Trixie when you learned who she was...confuses you. Is she supposed to be like Ellie? An incarnation of her? Or is she just a different person entirely? Just who IS she supposed to be exactly? Who is she to you?