Chapter 35- Belle

The look of shock and joy on the king's face filled my heart with warmth when I told him that I forgave him.

He smiled and nodded, keeping his hand over mine and making me feel warm and protected, which was a strange and new feeling that I had never felt before with someone other than my father.

Not even my ex- had been able to make me feel this way...

The doctor cleared his throat, and we looked at him, both of us holding each other's hand, not knowing if we should let go of each other or not.

The doctor bowed and cleared his throat again while he looked down. "My apologies for interrupting, Your Majesties," he said softly before he cleared his throat. "However, I am sure that it would be best to make sure that the king is fine and fed before the pack wonders if there is going to be food for them as well."

"Of course," the king said and cleared his throat while he squeezed my hand. "Belle, if you can help me stand, I shall not keep you any longer." He moved his hand off of mine, and I felt... cold all of a sudden.

I nodded and was about to help him stand when the doctor cleared his throat, interrupting me.

We looked at him and waited to see what he had to say, but he was staring at me, more importantly, my arm.

Confusion turned into realization when I remembered that I was still injured, even though it wasn't bad. "Oh, right," I said and nodded before I looked at the king, who was staring at us confused. "Do you think that both Louis and Cameron can come in and help us?" I asked before I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet. "That way I only have to lift the supplies and help."

"Why?" he asked and looked between me and the doctor. "What happened?" He looked at me, and I pressed my lips into a thin line, nervous about telling him about my injury.

The doctor stayed silent and continued to look at me. He didn't answer the king's question, silently saying that it would be for the best if I told him.

"Belle?" the king asked and looked at me. "What is it? What happened?"

I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips while I dipped my head closer to my chest. "A... bullet grazed my arm that day... and the doctor wants to make sure that it stays protected."

"What?" the king asked and looked between the two of us again. His eyes were wide, and he looked mortified and guilty that I had been hurt. "What do you mean?" He looked at me, but I didn't meet his gaze.

"A bullet grazed my arm," I said again. "I am still injured. It's not deep, and it didn't need stitches."

"Does it hurt?" he asked, and the guilt was more evident in his voice. He looked down and cleared his throat, not able to look at me any longer.

I shrugged and grimaced while I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips. "Not that much," I admitted before I cleared my throat. "It's not the worst injury I received, and I don't think it'll be the last." I patted his arm, soothingly, "and it's not your fault, so please, don't think it is. Please."

The king stayed silent and shifted in the bed. He didn't look at me, and I had a feeling that he was beating himself because I got hurt.

I bit back a sigh and gently placed my hand on his cheek, silently praying that he wouldn't hurt me while I lifted his head until he was looking at me. "Y- Reif, it's not your fault," I said softly, stroking his cheek. "You didn't pull the trigger on the gun."

Reif stayed silent and blinked. He looked away before he cleared his throat, and I could tell that he felt guilty and would continue to feel guilty that I had gotten hurt. "Let them come in," he said. "Have you been taking care of your wound?" he asked and looked at me.