3 | Memory

2412, Rab 17, Briss

2412, Rab 17, Briss

Kennen did his best to stay out of the way as Dalan bustled around the Infirmary, absorbed in his job. As the lead healer in this floor, he seemed so devoted into the role so much that he didn't have time to even talk to the Crown Prince who dropped out of his usual way to go to the hundred-something floor.

"Drink this brew three times a day after every meal, and you should be good," he heard Dalan say to a woman suffering from what seemed to be the golden allergy. Even Kennen knew how to treat himself when he felt the coughs and heat rashes arrive. Better yet, he wasn't venturing to the surface so he wouldn't get exposed to the changing temperatures, the foreign pollen, and the sunny atmosphere at all. She must be in the foraging team or in the patrol division.

"Remember to rest plenty," Dalan called after her when she strode towards the door as fast as her shaky legs could take her. "It'll go away on its own after a few days."

Kennen sidled next to Dalan on the healer's way back to his supply station at the end of the room. "You've warmed up to this place, I see," he said, bumping his shoulder against Dalan's.

The half-blood winced. "If anything, my blood froze a thousand times over," he replied before inclining his head in Kennen's direction. Since their first meeting, Kennen had shot up and reached Dalan's nose-level. And that's saying something, because the half-blood had in himself some tall trails. "What brings you here, Your Highness?"

It was Kennen's turn to frown. "I thought we agreed on the use of the title," he said. "Does my visit need to have a reason? Can't I just visit a friend?"

A scoff flitted off Dalan's nostrils. His hands started arranging the packets of freeze-dried leaves and amber bottles of medicinal potions. Metal tools whose names Kennen wasn't familiar with fell in neat arrays on respective trays through Dalan's prodding.

"With both of us so busy during this season, I doubt you're here for a chat, Kennen," the healer answered, resting his hands on the sides of a tray made of woven leaves.

Kennen scanned the neat rows of beds and lounge chairs. Most of them sat empty. "Busy, you say?" He raised an eyebrow in Dalan's direction. "You might need to provide justification for that, Head Healer."

A sigh rattled off Dalan's mouth. "Fine, Your Highness, since we're using each other's titles now," he propped a finger in the air and added more as he went on with his list. "One—I am in charge of procuring the raw ingredients from the foraging department. Two—I have to brew potions for our supply cabinets in case of emergencies. Three—I have to go to the upper floors for some in-room patient care. Most of them are too weak to survive the trip down here without aid. Four—"

"You made your point," Kennen snapped despite the smile itching to rip his lips apart. As usual, he couldn't win against Dalan when it came to verbal wrestling. The half-blood was just too smart for his own good. "And you're right. I came here for your thoughts on something."