7. You Are In Looooove

Lunch was quiet, but a comfortable kind of quiet. Iceman's cancer was getting worse, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Nova tried to avoid thinking about it, but she also wanted to see him as much as she could without letting herself get upset. She knew he would be gone soon, but she didn't want to cry in front of Sarah and the kids.

Nova's phone pings as she takes a bite of her salad, indicating that she got a text message. She glanced at the screen and sees a text from a random number, so she opens her phone and sees what it says.

Hey Nov, this is Bradley. Do you have plans tonight?

Iceman, who's sitting next to her, leans over her shoulder and reads the message, giving her a big grin. Nova can't hide her obvious blush, and looks at him with a flustered smile.

"What was that?" Sarah asks the two. Tom grabs the phone and further inspects the message, squinting his eyes and starting to type something.

"Bradley just texted m-what are you typing!" Nova leans over to see the phone.

Hey, Bradshaw, this is Iceman! Nova is completely free tonight and would love to see you

"Wait, don't!" She tried to grab her phone from him but it was too late. He sent the message. Nova puts her hands over her face, trying to stop herself from laughing out loud.

Iceman then turns on the camera and takes a selfie of them two, him giving a thumbs up and her leaning back in her chair with her arms crossed. He then sends to the photo to Bradley, and turns the phone towards his wife before Nova can say anything else.

"So you and Bradley? Aww that's adorable, honey!" Sarah says, happy to see the two really know each other now.

"We're not together. We've only been on one date." She says.

Iceman shakes his head and points to the phone. He then puts up two fingers to say that there is a second date now.

"What did your father say about it?" Sarah asks worriedly. Mavericks always been a bit...protective.

Iceman's eyebrows shoot up in question, anticipating hearing about how angry Maverick is about Rooster dating his daughter.

"I mean he's not exactly happy about it...but he's not totally against it. He says Bradley's a good guy. I think he's just scared to be around him."

"The kid's still mad?" Iceman asks, straining his voice. Sarah quietly scolds him for talking, knowing it hurts him.

"Yeah..." Nova sighs. "He's warming up, I think, but he hasn't forgiven Mav."

"He will." Ice says in a much quieter whisper, trying to avoid hurting his throat.

Seeing him like this makes Nova sad, but she tries her best to hide it.

They talk more about Top Gun, Maverick, Nova's career and dating life, the rest of the pilots on the mission, and most importantly Tom's health. Nova walks out of the house with a smile, but as soon as she turns away, tears brim at her eyes.

He doesn't have much time left, and Nova needs Iceman here. The man has been a huge part of her life, more than her own father has at some times. He's helped her through so much and gotten her so far in her career. She's learned so much from him being in Miramar, and from being around him as a child. She's glad Tom approves of Bradley, because if he didn't she probably wouldn't let herself be with him. She also knows her father needs to talk to Ice, but she's sure he will soon if he hasn't already.

She drives away down the windy beachside road, eyeing the cliff her and Rooster had dinner on top of from afar as she passes by. It looks a lot higher from down here. That reminds her, she should probably see if he texted her back.