xxiii. PARTY HARDER

CHAPTER XXIII:

( party harder )

( party harder )

     SAKADI SHOULD'VE JUST FOLLOWED ETHAN INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO HER CRAVING FOR A SHOT

SAKADI SHOULD'VE JUST FOLLOWED ETHAN INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO HER CRAVING FOR A SHOT. The cheerleader was lost. Discarding her cup in a place she knew she wouldn't be going back to, she attempted to navigate her way through the sea of dancing young adults while a Lady Gaga song blasted over what seemed to be every speaker in the state.

      Finally, she saw Ethan with... Nurse Annie?

      "Fancy meeting you here." Why did she want to come to this party again?

      "I'm a party girl, it's not all that fancy," she hadn't bothered to acknowledge the presence of the desperate man. "And you're just a stalker, pretty embarrassing if you ask me."

Fingers grasped her wrist while she walked, yanking her to a stop. "I'd rather ask you on a date."

      Sakadi looked at Hunter in pure disgust not even trying to use her sarcasm anymore. "Your blond dye job is horrendous, you're in severe need of braces or Invisalign, this racer costume is tacky as shit, and this whole shit with you trying to get at me with rejection after rejection is fucking desperate!" She yanked her wrist from his gasp as she now had enough room to do so from the scene she was causing. "Your harassment is only adding to the other stalker I have to deal with and I don't need another! You are sad and desperate and apparently never learned the meaning of no means no back when you were five."

      "Wait, Sakadi," The fake blond reached out to her and she stepped away looking at all the eyes on them. Kade always loved an audience when needed.

      Her freshly painted fingers dug into the pressure points of his shoulders. He hissed in discomfort and gave Sakadi plenty of an opportunity to shove him to the wood floors of the frat house with plenty of unexplainable substances. Standing above him in her cheerleading costume fueled the moment of her looking like every loser's worst nightmare and best dream.

      "You can't handle me," she spoke pressing her heeled good leg on his crotch making him look up at her hatefully but without a mistaking pain "and you will never be able to." Kade lifted her foot giving him false hope then struck the heel down on his shin following with a loud exclamation of pain.

      The girl looked up at Annie Parker and made direct eye contact with her.

      "You got this Nurse Annie?"

The tall nurse gasped at the sight of the boy and lunged to Sakadi's feet exclaiming his name while checking his new injury. Kade's face screwed up as the crowd dispersed and Ethan silently watched, "And how the hell do you know him?"

Annie glared at the designer with a look that made her feel as though she should've worn more rings that night. "He's my fucking brother, you bitch."

Sakadi scoffed crossing her arms as Ethan walked into the conversation to stand slightly behind her. "So stalking runs in the family, huh?"

"Wait, what?" Ethan questioned while Annie helped her brother stand.

Kade rolled her eyes at his inability to connect the dots. "Psycho who threw the soda at Sam," she pointed to Annie, "and psycho who never takes no for an answer anywhere I am."

      "Believe me, you won't have to worry about seeing us anymore," Hunter winced with a sneer. "Got the hint loud and clear." Annie proceeded to keep her eye contact with Sakadi, eyes barely bothering to give Ethan the time of day anymore as she guided her blonded brother out of the frat house.

      "Blessed be!" Kade shouted. "I was going to file a fucking restraining order on you." She turned to Ethan who had remained silent during the whole interaction, wondering what was wracking his mind. "You okay?" her voice was softer now, quieter but still loud to gloss over the music.

      He was in his own world but decided to let her in. Ethan slowly nodded finally catching her eyes, "I don't know why it never clicked why she felt so familiar." He slapped his hands over his eyes and groaned. "I'm so stupid, I swear. I thought she was interested in me but she was probably using me to make me hate Sam so she'd lose her friends."

      The journalist peeked through his hands at Sakadi in hopes of a denial or some sympathy but she wouldn't do that for him. "She probably was," she pressed her mouth into a thin smile. "It doesn't mean you totally suck," Kade shrugged, "just a little." Ethan rolled his eyes but was thankful for the honesty. "Now, drink then dance, or dance then drink?"

      The curly-haired boy bit the inside of his cheek looking away to allow himself to think seeing as Sakadi's eyes became a distraction. "Drink and dance."

      ETHAN AND SAKADI HAD LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS! After the Annie and Hunter debacle, Ethan drank enough shots to fill a red solo cup, Sakadi, never being a good influence on him, screamed encouraging him. She drank with him, a contest quickly inciting between them, both downing drink after drink without regard for alcohol poisoning.

The two had almost seemed to be friends the more intoxicated they became. Laughing in each other's faces, cheering for each other during every game, screaming lyrics of songs at the top of their lungs, and hanging off of each other. A month ago, the two could barely stand being in the same room as each other and now they were practically melting their skin into each other.

      "Let's dance!" Sakadi yelled to Ethan. Without hesitation or question, he followed her to where other partygoers danced to a Tory Lanez song that had begun.

      The violet strobing lights matched the color of the song's name, flashing through different cool colors in the darkness.

      The girl's warm skin slipped over Ethan's neck, tempting him closer to her. His warm breath fanned over her skin smelling like different kinds of fruit and the obvious tinge of alcohol. Sakadi grinned at the feeling, tooth gems glittering in Ethan's eyes.

      There was that birthmark again.

Sakadi hadn't realized it had happened when it did. Her heartbeat had taken it upon itself to match the thumping of the music and keep it beating in her ears. Ethan's hair felt soft between her fingers as they tangled and detangled themselves through them. One minute she was laughing with glee and the next she had opened her eyes to see the boy's face closer than it had ever been.

Ethan hadn't realized it had happened when it did. He was putting his dimples on display for the gilded girl in front of him to revel in. Her hips fit perfectly in the palms of his hands with his thumbs poking under her top to feel her flushed skin dancing with him. One minute, he was staring into her big round eyes and the next he was fixing the blurry image of her by creating space between their faces.

Eyes widening and hands not faltering from their places, Sakadi and Ethan felt heat rush up their necks and felt their cheeks warm with wide grins. They laughed. They laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. Chests heaving and stomachs hurting.

Finally, they became lucid. Ethan's smile was the first to drop when he licked his lips and tasted cherry limeade. He had only been drinking blue raspberry flavored drinks.

      Kade licked her lips still smiling, "Blue raspberry, huh?" she laughed but halted at the sight of Ethan's parted lips and wide eyes. "Oh."

      "Shit."