xiii. RUN IF YOU CAN

CHAPTER XIII:

( run if you can )

( run if you can )

     KADE HEAVILY GASPED AT THE SIGHT IN FRONT OF HER AS IF SHE NEEDED ALL THE REMAINING OXYGEN IN THE WORLD

     KADE HEAVILY GASPED AT THE SIGHT IN FRONT OF HER AS IF SHE NEEDED ALL THE REMAINING OXYGEN IN THE WORLD. Shifting gears and turning on her heel, Sakadi grasped Ethan's wrist in her hand and headed straight for Tara's bedroom no matter how much her mind screamed for her to turn around and help her friends, to wonder what exactly had happened to Callum and if he was even breathing, but her legs carried her to her friend's room either way.

      Ethan swiftly locked the door after slamming it shut, his eyes blown wide in anxiety and shock while pressing his back against the door.

      "This can't be real," he breathed out. Sakadi couldn't even come up with a comment to spout at him as she was soon to be a shaking leaf as every second flew by. The screams of their friends in the other room rattled through Kade's bones and it was all the more reason to question if she had even made a semblance of the right decision of fleeing with Ethan.

"Ethan, here, help me with the window!" Kade shouted at the boy she wouldn't even call her friend while pulling at the edges of Tara's window with so little strength because of the twisting and knotting feeling forcing her limbs to jelly. "Ethan! Now! Please!" she pleaded to the boy who had been babbling through his anxiety. His head whipped in the direction of her desperate pleading to see an expression of fear he knew he never wanted to see again.

He rushed to the window, Tara's bed nearly knocking him down with the unsteadiness he already had but now amplified by the stress of the circumstances.

The two of them heaved up the window, breaking the paint job that sealed it, and leaned out of the window to reveal a fire escape.

"Oh, thank God," Ethan breathed out. "Why doesn't it look like it'll hold?" he questioned, fear slipping from his words.

Kade's eyes widened. "Would you rather break a bone or be stabbed in the throat, Ethan? Priorities, you idiot!"

"None of that will matter if I land on my head!"