Chapter 27: Something is wrong with the sky

After I retreated to the Deadheads, the day carried on as usual. Things just started to change when I woke up. I slowly opened my eyes to darkness.

Must've woken up late. I thought.

I checked my watch and my jaw dropped when I saw that it was 9:30 in the morning. "What's going on with the sky?" I thought aloud. I sat up from my hammock and put my shoes and fingerless gloves on. Before I left, I took a big gulp out of my water bottle and realized my bag was empty.

I limped out of the Deadheads to look for Thomas, keeping my eyes on where I stepped because of how dark it was. I glanced up and saw clouds blanketing the sky in a dark, puffy gray.

When I exited the Deadheads, all the Gladers seemed to be in a bit of a panic. But I searched and searched but didn't find Thomas; Nor Newt. Now I was in a bit of a panic.

I started breathing heavily, afraid of what would've happened. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind and I whipped around. There Minho stood, with a silly grin on his face.

"Chill out, shank. Thomas would throw me in the Maze if I even laid a finger on you." He chuckled a little while I stood with steam coming out of my ears. He couldn't just grab people like that!

"You think this is funny? The sky is gone and so is Thomas," I angrily explained.

Minho rolled his eyes with a smirk on his face. He inched closer to me and pulled my waist so our chests were touching and our lips were inches apart. "Thomas is gone? Good."

Suddenly, Minho burst out laughing. "I'm just kidding, Y/N!"

He was clearly trying to make the situation better and it wasn't working. He noticed my distraught face and stopped laughing. "I'm serious, Min. Where's Thomas?" Minho pointed behind me and to the Homestead.

"I saw Thomas and Newt go that way," He said.

I smiled at him and made my way to the Homestead. I walked through the wooden building until I heard noise coming from a room. I slowly and quietly opened the door to see Newt and Thomas with Alby.

He's awake... Everything seemed normal until Alby started strangling himself! Newt immediately hopped onto the bed and tried to pry Alby's hands off his neck.

He ordered for Thomas to hold his legs down because they were kicking everywhere.

Thomas obeyed, holding his legs down. I just stood in the doorway watching the whole thing like a slinthead. Eventually, Alby stopped. Newt turned to me out of breath and his eyes widened.

"What're you doing here?!"

"M-Minho said Thomas was here."

Thomas stood up and lightly smiled at me. I returned it.

Alby then explained that he wanted to talk to Thomas. Newt wanted to stay, but Alby snapped at him and I to leave. I assumed it was the Changing.

Newt and I left as Thomas and Alby talked, a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the girl was right; Everything was going to change.